The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Thanks.  I just need to remember to separate out the eggs before lockdown.  I also put Ayam Cemani eggs in there from my latest generation.  I can imagine it difficult to figure out which are the Svarts and which are the Cemani when they are only a few minutes old.  I may even move the Cemani over to a separate hatcher.

I buy thick cheap plastic bowls and I put my a couple eggs in each one for the same breed. That way when they hatch they are confine until you take them out or tag them. I do this also for the different lines that I have so they don't get mixed up. I usually tag mine once they are dried off and seems to work for me.

I buy thick cheap plastic bowls and I put my a couple eggs in each one for the same breed. That way when they hatch they are confine until you take them out or tag them. I do this also for the different lines that I have so they don't get mixed up. I usually tag mine once they are dried off and seems to work for me.
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at my Rcom incubator and it looks like they already solved this problem for me. The cheaper models have these egg barriers for turning. The more expensive Pro models like mine have trays with different sized egg shapes that cradle the eggs while they are turned. But I just noticed today that my model also has the slots for the egg trays. And since they go all the way to the top, it effectively makes compartments. Now I just need to find the little fences. I may just cut some out of some acrylic.

If that fails, I will try the plastic bowls. 10 days and counting.

Thanks for the tip. I was looking at my Rcom incubator and it looks like they already solved this problem for me. The cheaper models have these egg barriers for turning. The more expensive Pro models like mine have trays with different sized egg shapes that cradle the eggs while they are turned. But I just noticed today that my model also has the slots for the egg trays. And since they go all the way to the top, it effectively makes compartments. Now I just need to find the little fences. I may just cut some out of some acrylic.

If that fails, I will try the plastic bowls. 10 days and counting.
I have used the plastic cross stitch sheets to make dividers. They are full of holes so they don't block the airflow. You can find it at any craft store.

I love these chickens! I'm getting ayum cemani soon, and love these too.

I can't afford prices for juveniles. I'm going to have to wait for my friend to add them to her flock and get hatching eggs or chicks from her when the time comes I hope.

I can't wait to get my sh & ac chicks. My friend has ac and they are so beautiful!

Chicken math taken over my brain lol. Thanks for the info, it's so scarce.

Hi,
I know I'm fairly new here (ok, really really new)- but I fell in love with Swedish Flower hens earlier this year, and have been obsessed every since :D Anyway, to make a long story short, my best friend bought me a pair of svarta höna as a early Christmas gift (she is ill and wanted to get me something very special). So even though I'm more or less a novice (learning more everyday and doing my best to make sure they will have the best of everything!), I'll have my dream birds soon! I have no idea about shipping eggs (going to need to practice with regular eggs first!) but I might have eggs for sale next year at very reasonable prices because, let's face it- it's my first time doing this. But I'm SO excited! They haven't been shipped yet (Greenfire Farms said up to 12 weeks, but they would be 8 weeks old at the time of shipping). I'm all happy and getting things ready. It's been a hard year so this helps. It's nice to have things to look forward to, and chickens are excellent therapy. I just thought I would share the good news here because I don't think my family would be impressed.

That's so exciting!!! Looks like I'm only going to have cemani for a bit, the sh as of today, no go on movement in eggs :( so I guess I will wait.

My friend got ayam cemani from gff on an auction after news about the sh, to add to the ayam cemani quad she has now from another breeder.

Back
Top Bottom