The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
I have been hoping to find at least one other person that has a woolly Svart to help with diversity, but the only other person I know of that had one lost it to a predator before it matured. It is going to be a much longer road to establishing a breeding group if I only have the normal feathered birds to breed to.
Do you know of any other importers other than Ewe Crazy and GFF? I would think by now that someone else would have imported them. Especially since you got 3. I bet they will be super cute!

they are about 4 month.
Wow--they really are small birds, aren't they?

We had a clutch of SH eggs under a broody in a mixed-breed coop. Cream legbar, dominique, Delaware, RIR, bantam Orp, etc. The first chick hatched, and I believe she was squished by a Coronation Sussex hen that was laying an egg in the same nestbox the chick had just hatched in.

It was a sad (and expensive) experience. In hindsight, I see that wasn't a smart idea, but the Coronation Sussex is such a sweet docile hen, it never occured to me there would be an accident of that nature.

So we separated the broody and her remaining unhatched SH eggs, and only one chick hatched after that. The chick is 2 weeks old now, and just now the size of a large fowl chick.

It will be months until this chick is big enough to be safely re-integrated into the mixed fowl coop.
th.gif

She's little but a pistol! She's like a princess, since she's an only child mom gives her her complete attention, and anything the chick wants. She's so cute!

Where can I get chicks for this breed besides Greenfire and Ewe Must Be Crazy? Not that I have anything against them.
Ewe Crazy Farms.

Besides mine and Greenfire there are several breeders on this page, and you can also join the Rare Chicken Breed Sell/Swap page on Facebook. There's also a Svart Hona breeder's group on Facebook. Rarebreedauctions also has birds for sale on occasion from other breeders.

If you mean you are looking for alternate bloodlines... Well, there aren't any that I know of.
Mine and Greenfire's imports are the only ones I know of right now.

Where can I get chicks for this breed besides Greenfire and Ewe Must Be Crazy? Not that I have anything against them.
bryce is wonderful and i have gotten one beautiful bird from the flock i will post pics in a bit

BJs Poultry in Michigan
came from bryce at ewe crazy farms...

birdman, which is me is the only one that i know of that has the fibro birds that are direct from the importer...WITH PAPERWORK TO PROVE IT...in michigan....svart hona from both bryce and gff....and the cemani, as well as the hmong chicken...people have to realize with this fibro bird is like any other fibro bird....you have to buy many to get that one perfect rooster for breeding....once you grow them out you will understand...be back in a flash with some pics....thanks again bryce for the birds i think they are nicer then the gff ones...btw

two birds are from ewe crazy farm...bottom left is breeder

this bird is from gff...alot smaller then the other males....and also the only breeder they sent out when grown

birdman, which is me is the only one that i know of that has the fibro birds that are direct from the importer...WITH PAPERWORK TO PROVE IT...in michigan....svart hona from both bryce and gff....and the cemani, as well as the hmong chicken...people have to realize with this fibro bird is like any other fibro bird....you have to buy many to get that one perfect rooster for breeding....once you grow them out you will understand...be back in a flash with some pics....thanks again bryce for the birds i think they are nicer then the gff ones...btw

Now, you're just teasing the rest of us!
droolin.gif

Only one chick survived from our first hatch. She's about 3 weeks old now. So cute. She's quite a flyer. For those of you who have several SH, are they all good fliers?

She also has a sizeable tail proportionate to her size. It's probably an inch tall. She has very little comb, but this crazy tail. Please tell me that a large tail does not indicate anything at this time in her life.

I want it to be a she--even a she with a prematurely developed tail would be fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom