The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
I heard the words pronounced thanks to that link, but thank you also!
thumbsup.gif

I have three Swedish Black hen eggs in the incubator.. But the lady I got them from says that they're a hard hatch and even tho she normally has high hatch rates, this breed she has trouble with late quitters or death after pip. Any tips???

I have three Swedish Black hen eggs in the incubator.. But the lady I got them from says that they're a hard hatch and even tho she normally has high hatch rates, this breed she has trouble with late quitters or death after pip. Any tips???

I wish I had this tip for my first SH hatch. I would've not waited so long before helping/checking on them when they were late but I stopped hearing peeping or scratching. So sad to see them dead after pipping.

I wish I had this tip for my first SH hatch. I would've not waited so long before helping/checking on them when they were late but I stopped hearing peeping or scratching. So sad to see them dead after pipping.

I've asked the question on the fibromelanotic poultry fb page as well.. There has to be a method to getting better hatch rates!! I really don't want to lose these, it may be my only opportunity!!

I dry hatch mine with great success (no added humidity.). It stays at about 35% naturally. When I first started hatching in 2012 most of the chicks that didn't hatch died in the shell due to drowning.
Never had any problems with dry hatching , but others have tried that method without success. It's best to try and see which method works best for you/your area but I understand with this being your first you'd want the best hatch possible.

I've asked the question on the fibromelanotic poultry fb page as well.. There has to be a method to getting better hatch rates!! I really don't want to lose these, it may be my only opportunity!!

Well, as someone new to this breed going to start hatching next year thank God I just read this.

They're so cute. Definitely worth it!
Out of three eggs, we had two hatch. The chicks are very tiny. Keep that in mind if you have a mixed flock. One of ours got trampled.

These guys are going to be spoil rotten spawns
wink.png
knowing how small they are...I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get into the bantam range...and It would let me have my...

Ahem sorry rambling >_>

Back
Top Bottom