The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Hello we have a friend that has a svart egg in their incubator. Whenever it hatches I'm going to buy it. Do svart require any special care? Are they just like a normal chicken? Are they bantams? Does anyone have any tips?
They are small, but I have never had any bantams, so I don't know if they are similar size. Svarthöna are very susceptible to coccidiosis and are best kept indoors or on wire until they are 3-4 months old. I do my best to build their immune system with kefir and herbs to support them while they build up resistance. I don't use medicated feed, but usually do 1 or 2 courses of Corid after I put them outside. I still lose a few now and then. Make sure to keep them warm until they feather out, but not too warm. I prefer to use an EcoGlow or similar brooding plate. Are you going to have any other chicks? Single chicks usually don't do very well, so you should find it at least one brooder mate. Good luck and looking forward to pictures!

They are small, but I have never had any bantams, so I don't know if they are similar size. [COLOR=333333]Svarthöna are very susceptible to coccidiosis and are best kept indoors or on wire until they are 3-4 months old. I do my best to build their immune system with kefir and herbs to support them while they build up resistance. I don't use medicated feed, but usually do 1 or 2 courses of Corid after I put them outside. I still lose a few now and then. Make sure to keep them warm until they feather out, but not too warm. I prefer to use an EcoGlow or similar brooding plate. Are you going to have any other chicks? Single chicks usually don't do very well, so you should find it at least one brooder mate. Good luck and looking forward to pictures![/COLOR]
really? All my half Honas have been 100% wild raised free ranging. Even the adults appear highly hearty I wouldn't of ever though of that.

They are small, but I have never had any bantams, so I don't know if they are similar size. Svarthöna are very susceptible to coccidiosis and are best kept indoors or on wire until they are 3-4 months old. I do my best to build their immune system with kefir and herbs to support them while they build up resistance. I don't use medicated feed, but usually do 1 or 2 courses of Corid after I put them outside. I still lose a few now and then. Make sure to keep them warm until they feather out, but not too warm. I prefer to use an EcoGlow or similar brooding plate. Are you going to have any other chicks? Single chicks usually don't do very well, so you should find it at least one brooder mate. Good luck and looking forward to pictures!
Not trying to contradict you, but I received 12 day old chicks from GFF in August and they have been free ranged with no special care and I haven't lost one or had any issues with frailness or sickness. They are pretty hardy in my experience

Thanks for all the info! Once the chick hatches and we know if it is male or female I am going to start looking for a mate for it. It will be kept under a heat lamp until he/she is big enough to go outside. They will be kept in their own pen too.

@chick18 that's great! Is that the standard in Sweden? I have a friend from Norway who lives just down the street. I might ask her to translate for me. Like many Europeans, she speaks about 5 languages fluently, it's just amazing. That is so cool that you have that!

@chick18
 that's great! Is that the standard in Sweden? I have a friend from Norway who lives just down the street. I might ask her to translate for me. Like many Europeans, she speaks about 5 languages fluently, it's just amazing. That is so cool that you have that!

Hello friend! :frow I'd love to know the translation too. Even just the picture helps. :D

Hello friend!
frow.gif
I'd love to know the translation too. Even just the picture helps.
big_smile.png
Well hi there!
big_smile.png
Yeah, that looks pretty cool. I have downloaded it, and will send it to my friend to see if she can tell what it says.

really? All my half Honas have been 100% wild raised free ranging. Even the adults appear highly hearty I wouldn't of ever though of that.

Not trying to contradict you, but I received 12 day old chicks from GFF in August and they have been free ranged with no special care and I haven't lost one or had any issues with frailness or sickness. They are pretty hardy in my experience
I thought the conversation took place here, but it was actually over on FB, and it was almost 2 years ago when Svarts were still quite new to this country. I suppose I should have said "can be very susceptible" as not everyone had problems. My problems were mostly with my woollies, and it is possible that inbreeding could have been a contributing factor. I haven't hatched any in several months, but as I work on diversity, they do seem to be getting stronger. I think a lot depends on the strain(s) of cocci that each farm has. I always prefer to err on the side of caution, though, especially when you have very limited access to replacements.

Back
Top Bottom