The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
frow.gif

I would strongly suggest you either find a way to separate them or rehome at least 2 of the cockerels within the next month or two. Once your cockerels start getting their hormone surges and your pullet approaches POL, the boys will be extremely rough on her. They can even break her neck fighting over breeding her. The other option is to find some EE pullets to put in with them to even the odds. As long as the EE pullets lay green eggs, you will easily be able to tell your Svarthöna's eggs apart.
The idea of EEs is a good one. And yes, the idea is to find a new home for them... **somehow**...

frow.gif
Wooly girl is doing great! How have you been?
Glad to hear it. I am doing well. The incubators have been off for 4 months
ep.gif
and I am going through withdrawal. I need to put up more coops before I can start hatching again, though. I lost my 2 unrelated woolly pullets
hit.gif
, but I have still have 2 woolly cockerels. Working on diversifying them to make them hardier.

Glad to hear it. I am doing well. The incubators have been off for 4 months :eek:  and I am going through withdrawal. I need to put up more coops before I can start hatching again, though. I lost my 2 unrelated woolly pullets :hit , but I have still have 2 woolly cockerels. Working on diversifying them to make them hardier.
always kept the fact that you said that the woolies are sensitive to coccidiosis more than others. I pick her up and check weight regularly on her. I have treated her twice when she was younger with corid but since then she has done well. hoping to produce some more. Sorry to hear you lost the 2 wooly pullets :hugs

I shut my incubators off back in late June or early July but I got the itch and turn them on for a New Year's Day hatch :gig

Has anyone ever had or seen a svart and silkie mix?
There is actually a woolly variant of the Svarthöna. It is the same gene that makes a Silkie silkie, but they call it woolly in Sweden. I currently have 2 woolly cockerels. They are not Silkie mixes. This is an old picture of one of them when he was younger. They are now 40 weeks old. (I'll have to get some new pictures.)

There is actually a woolly variant of the Svarthöna. It is the same gene that makes a Silkie silkie, but they call it woolly in Sweden. I currently have 2 woolly cockerels. They are not Silkie mixes. This is an old picture of one of them when he was younger. They are now 40 weeks old. (I'll have to get some new pictures.)
That's cool. Do they have feathered feet?

Back
Top Bottom