The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
GROW, GROW, and GROW some more Mercury, Τσουρέκι, and ALL of the Eggies!!!!
IMG_3850.jpeg

I WISH I could still free range mine. But… eagles, hawks, falcons, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, dogs, bobcats…. 😞
We have all that, add bear. Our two dogs, three cats, guy wires, several tall wind spinners, and solar and electric motion lights keep the riff-raff away. The farmer across the road jokes that every night she sees lights being set off across our property from one end to the other by one of the dogs or cats that it's almost like a light show. :)

Knock on wood the last 7 of 8 years, we've not lost anything to a predator. Our first year, there are a few sad stories of missing hens. :(

Sadly. Life isn't always easy for chickens and their keepers. Hugs for all of you who had losses in the past. :hugs:hugs:hugs

For me a mixture to confine - free range seems to work best. Chicks don't go out to free range anymore without continuous supervision, since I lost 2 , 3-4 month old Dutch last year.
The 2 losses:
IMG_3323.jpeg

The new chick (Tintin) with its 2 mama’s
IMG_4226.jpeg

Congrats with the newhatched WoDia!

Grow eggies, especially Xaris and Tsaziki!
GIF by Paul Robertson

Awww thank you @GreenJay. 🥰 I have 2 more bantam eggs to go in the next week. And, I’m now into Bobwhite and King quail incubation. I love this time of the year!
Quail are SO much fun to watch hatch! You have to keep glued to the incubator, which as we all know is NOT a hard thing to do, 🤣 because you can miss it, but once Bobwhites start the process of hatching, they don't stop! Really! They start at the pip hole and start cutting themselves out, no breaks, it's just non stop zipping. They hatch fast!! Quail folks refer it to watching popcorn pop. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom