The True Truth: How to tell an Easter Egger from an Ameraucana. Even if you think you have an Ameraucana, do check!

Have you ever gotten a pure Ameraucana from a feed store? If so, share pics!

• Yes, many!

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I have one that has all the traits to be pure....

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • I’m not sure? (Share some pics and I can tell you!)

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • No, but I hope so.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • No, and I know I never will! :)

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Bought from feed store as Americanas. (These are EEs, then.)

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • Bought from a breeder who lied

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Bought from a breeder and they’re pure!

Votes: 21 16.2%

• Total voters
This is such a great and informative post! I know that so many people struggle with this. You also may want to touch upon muffs, beards, and body type standards-I know that real ameraucanas have muffs and beards, while EEs can have one, none, or both. You could also mention that there's a body type, tail angle, head shape, etc all specified for ameraucanas, while there's nothing for EEs.

EBB00824-9F57-4D22-B78C-8C08FBE8E828.jpeg
FD264891-561D-4304-8F2B-8D459F1CE8CE.jpeg
BF6C4F45-B02C-44D4-B96A-A16CEDBF12D3.jpeg
My Easter Egger roo and hen that were listed as Americanas at feed store. Tricksters huh. I have a second EE that matured much slower and started out looking like a crow But now looks like runt less pretty version of other EE rooster. The info on how to tell apart is very helpful. When I was looking up how to tell apart I couldn’t find good info and many people unknowingly have pics of EE chickens on internet but have them listed as the other. The cost part is right. After posting my pics and having someone tell me I looked at strasberg and saw just that. There should be another poll option that is

Bought as feed store thinking it was Americauna but it was EE

What points EE? The first photo is her and the second is of a pullet and two cockerels we hatched from her on July 4th. Her legs are slate, although they do look green in that photo.
Well, for one her color isn’t wheaten. Or blue wheaten. Second you got her from TSC.
What color does she lay?

Well, for one her color isn’t wheaten. Or blue wheaten. Second you got her from TSC.
What color does she lay?
Here’s her eggs:
AF6A4780-4638-45F2-965F-ECFB03D2AACB.jpeg

They vary from green to blue.
What would you call her color? I’ve had past threads who all said she’s wheaten and I assumed blue wheaten since she produces blue cockerels like in the photo’s I first posted.

View attachment 2367807View attachment 2367810View attachment 2367811My Easter Egger roo and hen that were listed as Americanas at feed store. Tricksters huh. I have a second EE that matured much slower and started out looking like a crow But now looks like runt less pretty version of other EE rooster. The info on how to tell apart is very helpful. When I was looking up how to tell apart I couldn’t find good info and many people unknowingly have pics of EE chickens on internet but have them listed as the other. The cost part is right. After posting my pics and having someone tell me I looked at strasberg and saw just that. There should be another poll option that is

Bought as feed store thinking it was Americauna but it was EE
Wonderful birds! I’ll do that, good idea! Too many stores sell EEs as ‘Americana’.

Back
Top Bottom