The True Truth: How to tell an Easter Egger from an Ameraucana. Even if you think you have an Ameraucana, do check!

Have you ever gotten a pure Ameraucana from a feed store? If so, share pics!

• Yes, many!

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I have one that has all the traits to be pure....

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • I’m not sure? (Share some pics and I can tell you!)

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • No, but I hope so.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • No, and I know I never will! :)

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Bought from feed store as Americanas. (These are EEs, then.)

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • Bought from a breeder who lied

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Bought from a breeder and they’re pure!

Votes: 21 16.2%

• Total voters
Interesting post! I always chuckle when people are posting "pure Ameraucana" for sale. It's a cross. You are taking a chance buying them, no matter what the price. I bought some Prairie Bluebells and was doubting their lineage. Someone on here said "consider the odds if the hatchery has purebred Araucanas or not." Big light bulb. If a hatchery has successful breeding of Araucanas (which have low fertility rates and, even if fertile, low hatch rates) they would probably be selling Araucana eggs or chicks at high prices and not mixed breed chicks you can buy in quantities of 20.

Either way! I’m not sure how many peeps out there have pure ones.
This is Hedwig, named by my daughter for her similarity to a certain well known owl.
She is a 20 week old purebred splash Ameraucana . No eggs yet, but they will be some shade of blue. As you can see, body type, appearance and everything except color look very similar to most EEs.
I bought her as a 10 week old from a breeder. Understandable that people are confused especially with the kind of marketing that most hatcheries use.😊
BBB6FFBD-788A-4B2E-A52A-62B74F502C32.jpeg

Interesting post! I always chuckle when people are posting "pure Ameraucana" for sale. It's a cross. You are taking a chance buying them, no matter what the price. I bought some Prairie Bluebells and was doubting their lineage. Someone on here said "consider the odds if the hatchery has purebred Araucanas or not." Big light bulb. If a hatchery has successful breeding of Araucanas (which have low fertility rates and, even if fertile, low hatch rates) they would probably be selling Araucana eggs or chicks at high prices and not mixed breed chicks you can buy in quantities of 20.
Yes. Araucanas are a different breed completely, yet hatcheries still sell EEs as such.
For people out there:
Araucanas are a breed that have ear tufts (NOT muffs.)
67D8A661-8365-4496-873D-6118E1B3FF60.jpeg

And are RUMPLESS.
NO TAIL.
86841EE2-474F-44DC-8F54-1173BB9A296F.jpeg

This is Hedwig, named by my daughter for her similarity to a certain well known owl.
She is a 20 week old purebred splash Ameraucana . No eggs yet, but they will be some shade of blue. As you can see, body type, appearance and everything except color look very similar to most EEs.
I bough her as a 10 week old from a breeder. Understandable that people are confused especially with the kind of marketing that most hatcheries use.😊View attachment 2367855
Beautiful! She has such poise. I love the splash pattern.

I'm pretty sure Meyer sells pure ones. But they're expensive.
Yes, they do I think they’re $23 for a sexed day old pullet. They only have the blue/black/splash variety. You’re better off contacting the Ameraucana breeders club and find a breeder near you if you’re going to pay that much money, you want to go with the best quality you can get!😊

In 2012 I bought hatching eggs from mpc and hatched two Ameraucanas well I think they were as they were colors that am come in, a black and splash heres pics of those
4891F187-62C9-408D-A6B7-41021C451763.jpeg
AD5C2F54-4B77-4372-AE73-AD9B8A432CAF.jpeg

Ive also has allot of ee over the years now I have true ameraucanas but breeder they came from have a bunch of defects i have a scissor beaked one and a blind one heres a pic of the blind one a friend who got birds from same breeder has a ton that are blind aswell
777D9EC0-6804-4FB9-8B2A-153502F830AC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom