1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"The ugliest chickens in the world!"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Flock Leader, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    This year, we spent Rosh-HaShana with my husband's family. We brought our baby Silkies with us, because we could find no one to babysit them. I've dreamed of Silkies for so long, and was so proud of hatching them in our incubator, and so pleased with how they are getting fluffy! But guess what my husband's aunt said? "These are the ugliest chickens I've ever seen"!!!

Oh well... you've got to put up with family... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My daughter holding one of the Silkies in her lap.

2. Incukahlan

Incukahlan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ha! That is so sad and funny at the same time. I think Silkies are gorgeous and have some of my own as well. I also think that baby Turkens are adorable and my family thinks I'm nuts. I had someone come over a few days ago(I have some week old Turkens) and they saw the babies and completely freaked out. Their exact words were, "Oh my God! What happened to that poor baby?!" Lol. Hilarious. I also have a Silkie/Frizzle cross also known as a Sizzle, a White Frizzle Roo, a baby Mottled Houdan, White Sultan, and Golden Laced Polish. I like the different stuff. Keeps conversations interesting. Don't listen to what anyone else says, I think the more different a chicken is, the more character it has. [​IMG]

3. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What do they know, right? We all know how beautiful they are! Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

5. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She was jealous of their beauty.

7. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    LOL no, I think she truly meant it - she just had never seen a chicken other than the "normal" egg-laying breeds. When I first saw a Silkie, my reaction was, "Oh my, what is it?"

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Silkies are the ultimate lap chicken. I wonder what Auntie would have thought of my Show Girl rooster (Naked Neck, Silkie cross)? Here is a photo of Siegfried.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think this photo is so funny; too bad it is blurry. Rascal rooster on the left has the same initial reaction you had: "Oh my, what is it?"

BTW, belated L'Shanah Tova. Have a sweet, chicken-filled year.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Coolest chic pic ever!! [​IMG]

10. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think she's alright. What do they expect? For all of them to look like Foghorn Leghorn?

I don't have Silkies, but my son talked me into adding 2 polish chicks to next week's shipment. I think they look a little silly. But you know it won't take more than a couple minutes in "fuzzy butt" stage and I'll be in love.

Heck, a year ago I wouldn't have ever thought I'd think ANY chicken looked good. Now I see my little bantam rooster and am just amazed at how beautiful he is.

It's a sickness. Really. I'm addicted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by