The Underappreciated Hybrids Thread

Genetics question... Pardon my ignorance.

I keep reading that the F1 cross is likely to have more vigor, disease resistance, etc. than the original two pure breeds, in my case, BO over BA. But those traits don't carry over to the F2 generation. Or is it that they *may* not carry over? Can someone explain why this is, in the dumbed down version of genetics that I might understand?

Here's what my brain thinks might be the reason. My F1 equals BO x BA. Like mixing blue and red to get purple. F2 takes the blue, red, and purple, tosses it in a pot, stirs it up, and .... ? If blue and red and purple all work well together, voila! It's all good. (Purple is my favorite color.)

But say it's more like mixing yellow and black. F1 might be as pretty and useful as honeybees. F2 might just look and act like mud.

Is that anywhere close?

I've gotten some really cool mutts by hatching "barnyard" mixes!! The only real downside I see is they aren't really of any value in terms of selling them, unfortunately.

^^^ This is my plan. Yes, I know they have no sale value, but time and resources dictate that I can't maintain multiple flocks of pure breeds - and worse, I had to start with TSC / Hoover Hatchery birds due to COVID availability issues this spring/early summer. So, selective culling it is until I come up with a bird that works for me, on my property. If the locals then want some, sure, I'll sell, but no fancy name, no pretense at a breed. Just DP birds suitable for "here".

After having to cull two MEAN cockerels (BO), my husband said we would only be buying pullet chicks from now on. I have on BO cockerel left, and three BA pullets. While I want chickens mainly for eggs and poop for the garden, I can see that if TSHTF, being able to enlarge my flock could be a big plus too.

And to have some interesting crosses...
Just an personal observation on people aggressive roosters.
My experience has been if there are a number of roosters in a flock, people aggression does not happen.
Every multiple rooster flock has a dominant and a second in command. The remainding roosters are subservient and hang out in the background. They are not accepted by the hens and when one of the subservient roosters tries to mate a squawky hen, the flock leader or/and second chase him off.
It seems their aggression is focused on keeping the other boys in line, and they don't see people as a threat.
A single rooster does not have that option and may see people as a threat.
It may be different with other flocks, though.
I agree that an aggressive rooster has no place in a family flock.
There are nice ones that could fit in.

Just an personal observation on people aggressive roosters.
My experience has been if there are a number of roosters in a flock, people aggression does not happen
This is really interesting! I had three cockerels and three pullets. The alpha cockerel was the one I kept. The Numbers two and three were horrid to the pullets and to me. I remember one of them biting me on the hand -- hard! -- and twisting his beak.

Alpha boy crowed really early, at 8 weeks. I heard the other two only rarely, and they were much later. (So I held out hope they were girls... sigh.) The two I culled were terrorizing the pullets. It got so that they wouldn't come off the roost and I had to go in the coop and feed and water them out of bowls. That's when I knew those two cockerels had to go for the good of the flock. An hour after the second one was gone, the girls came out and Darl (alpha cockerel, now only one) tidbitted for them when I brought in watermelon.

I'm curious why your experience was so different? Much larger flocks with more females, maybe? I know I have what would be considered too few females for one male, but so far, :fl it's working.

Back
Top Bottom