The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Here she is early on and the latest hatched one looks almost identical Here is a pic of the father though Pita Pinta is a mottled bird and I have BO girls Coudnt ask for 2 sweeter breeds though.
Is your elsummer chick a pullet or cockerel? I have 2 for sure cockerels and 1 for sure pullet. Another looks like this with maybe a bit less red. Hoping for pullet but thinking maybe cockerel..

My welsummer chick appears to be a cockerel

Which is a shame since I wanted pullets and bought feed store sexed pullets for this purpose. the other 2 died. Mine dont seem to be that sharp as chicks at least.

Caychris, thanks for posting the pictures. That is definite lacing on the young pullet. Interesting. Time will tell I guess. Dusti still has her adult molt to go through so maybe we will know more then. I never saw her dad mount a Buff O hen but then who knows what goes on behind closed coop doors.
wink.png
lau.gif

Caychris, thanks for posting the pictures. That is definite lacing on the young pullet. Interesting. Time will tell I guess. Dusti still has her adult molt to go through so maybe we will know more then. I never saw her dad mount a Buff O hen but then who knows what goes on behind closed coop doors.
wink.png
lau.gif
The chick came out chocolate brown when the lacing developed I originally thought she was a hybrid with the Cream Legbar because we had separated the buff from the legbar and in with the pita less than a month ago (and my previous pita hybrid chicks, EEs,were all black) but when we hatched out another one about 7 weeks later that looks almost the same (slightly lighter underside as a chick) we realized it was a buff pita cross instead.

My welsummer chick appears to be a cockerel

Which is a shame since I wanted pullets and bought feed store sexed pullets for this purpose.  the other 2 died. Mine dont seem to be that sharp as chicks at least.

That's to bad. Mine are very inquisitive and curious. My cockerel is also a total sweetheart. We plan on keeping him for our flock. I'm still holding out hope the other is a pullet lol. Here is our welsummer cockerel..

This is not the most recent. His comb is quite red now and he crows lol. He is only 4 weeks.

That's to bad. Mine are very inquisitive and curious. My cockerel is also a total sweetheart. We plan on keeping him for our flock. I'm still holding out hope the other is a pullet lol. Here is our welsummer cockerel..

This is not the most recent. His comb is quite red now and he crows lol. He is only 4 weeks.
such a cutie

Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside.

I have 5 Welsummer chicks that are less than two weeks old and I just LOVE how inquisitive they are!!!
https://www.facebook.com/knittymom/videos/vb.100001839548306/1136760326395275/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

I picked three chicks when they were a week old. The mom was a Welsummer and it appears that the father was a Silver Laces Wyandotte. They are 19 weeks old and the pullets haven't started to lay yet. I'm getting anxious!! Their names are Oreo, Choc Chip aka Cookie and Batman.

Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside. I have 5 Welsummer chicks that are less than two weeks old and I just LOVE how inquisitive they are!!! https://www.facebook.com/knittymom/videos/vb.100001839548306/1136760326395275/?type=3&theater
That's my favorite thing about them as well lol. They have the cutest personalities!

Back
Top Bottom