The Welsummer Thread!!!!

[/URL]

This is one pullet in question. She has some white stuff going on that the others don't. She's also one of the biggest.
As I look back at the wellie chick pics I have of my pair, the male had the white flecks and the female did not at about that age.
But only time will tell, 3 weeks is way too early to tell about plumage, they molt 2-3 times before getting their adult plumage at around 5-6 months old.

You'll be able to pin down gender by about 5-6 weeks, by comb wattle growth and color and breast plumage color. The eyeliner and head triangle are not always accurate as to gender.

Being hatchery birds it's hard to say how and if they will match up to the SOP, but I wouldn't count on it.
Many hatchery wellie chicks turn out to not be wellies.

Last edited:
I thought I'd pop on to share some pictures of my silver duckwing project. Starting to make some real progress. I'm really happy with the pullet and the size is just about there. Now I just need to get a good true silver on the roosters - then start refining type. All three of the cockerels are from very dark eggs, so hopefully this will help maintain egg color as well.

Last edited:
Very pretty faycocoWV. They look like their feathers have been frosted.

Sidchick I'm a bit suspicious of the lightness in your young cockerels coloring. I wound up with two Welly boys in my original flock of chicks. They were supposed to be pullets which is the first rule I learned about Wellies. Just because they have eyeliner it doesn't mean they are pullets 100%. I found that the breast feathers are pretty much running true for my birds. Black=male, salmon=female.

Here is one of my two boys when they were just 6 weeks old:

They are standing and laying behind the little Buff O cockerel in the front. Note the darkness of the back feathers and wing feathers on the one standing.

This little lady is Dolly at 8+weeks. She had the perfect chipmunk markings and sharp head V and eyeliner. No mistaking her for a cockerel especially when those pretty salmon colored chest feathers came in. I included this picture so you could see the color of her wing feathers compared to the color of your males.

As aart said, time will tell. Even if McMurry threw a counterfeit in on you, he is a pretty boy and will probably grow up to be a uniquely colored,handsome adult.

Very pretty faycocoWV. They look like their feathers have been frosted. Sidchick I'm a bit suspicious of the lightness in your young cockerels coloring. I wound up with two Welly boys in my original flock of chicks. They were supposed to be pullets which is the first rule I learned about Wellies. Just because they have eyeliner it doesn't mean they are pullets 100%. I found that the breast feathers are pretty much running true for my birds. Black=male, salmon=female. Here is one of my two boys when they were just 6 weeks old: They are standing and laying behind the little Buff O cockerel in the front. Note the darkness of the back feathers and wing feathers on the one standing. This little lady is Dolly at 8+weeks. She had the perfect chipmunk markings and sharp head V and eyeliner. No mistaking her for a cockerel especially when those pretty salmon colored chest feathers came in. I included this picture so you could see the color of her wing feathers compared to the color of your males. As aart said, time will tell. Even if McMurry threw a counterfeit in on you, he is a pretty boy and will probably grow up to be a uniquely colored,handsome adult.
I've found with mine that the cockerels have that salmon color but it's patchy. Girls= solid boys= patchy.. :)

Since these chicks would be too young for this year's fair season, I assume you are aiming for next year?
At least in our neck of the woods, they can not be shown at fair until a minimum of six months of age. By then you will know much more. As others have said, three weeks is just way to early to know much about them.

Have you checked in your area to see if there are any Welsummer breeders who would be willing to donate a few chicks for 4-H use? That way you get a better quality, plus often find someone who can help with educating your poultry enthusiast. Best of luck.

Next year, yes. There is a young category under one year, and old category over one year.

As for locals, there are only two other families in 4H that show chickens. Neither one had heard of welsummer. I think all the chickens around here come from the feed store. I would love to find a reputable breeder, Just don't know how.My vet recommended McMurray.

Back
Top Bottom