The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Ok...going to try my picture share....fingers crossed. The rooster is named James Bond and each hen has names of the bond women.

I re-wrote the James Bond theme song for your rooster...........(look it up on YouTube to get the "feel")

Secret Agent Man
(Secret Agent Roo)

verse 1:
There's a roo that lives a life of danger
To every hen he meets he stays a stranger
With every move he makes, another chance he takes,
Odds are he won't live to see tomorrow

chorus:
Secret agent roo, secret agent roo, they've given you some hens and taken away your game

verse 2:
Beware of pretty feathers that you find,
pretty feathers can hide a evil mind,
Oh be careful how you roo-dance, they'll peck your roo-pants...
Odds are you won't live to see tomorrow...

Chorus again...

I re-wrote the James Bond theme song for your rooster...........(look it up on YouTube to get the "feel")

Secret Agent Man
(Secret Agent Roo)

verse 1:

chorus:
Secret agent roo, secret agent roo, they've given you some hens and taken away your game

verse 2:

Chorus again...

gig.gif
That is brilliant!!! I love a good parody!
lau.gif

Secret Agent Man
(Secret Agent Roo)

verse 1:

chorus:
Secret agent roo, secret agent roo, they've given you some hens and taken away your game

verse 2:

Chorus again...

This is total awesome!
I did have lots of fun selecting his name as Bond. He is a wonderful roo, looking forward him reaching full size this spring.

Hi,

It has been a few months since I posted anything. I just wanted to update how my Welsummers are growing up. Technically they are still a cockerel and pullets since they aren't a year old yet right?

The bird pictured above is the only one that would stay still long enough for me to get a picture.

Here are some of the eggs I'm getting. I believe every female in my flock is represented except for two.

Yes, my flock is a mixed flock with only 3 of the pullets being Welsummers.

I have sure been enjoying those eggs.

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to Welsummers and with only a year and a half of chick/chicken experience I guess I'm a total newbie! A year and a half ago I started my chicken journey with 9 chicks, mixed flock. 2 SLW, 1 GLW, 2 RIR, 1 Australorp and 3 Andalusians. I rehomed the Andalusians as soon as they started laying because they really truly hated any kind of confinement. Then I added a 6 month old Chocolate Orpington (Big Mamma) and a geriatric Auraucana that was at our local humane society (Duchess of Blue). I have loved my mixed flock girls and we moved to 5 acres so I decided to expand my flock. I researched all the different breeds and decided on the Wellie! (I didn't want to go mixed flock this time around.) I ordered 14 pullets and one roo from Cackle Hatchery. (Any one else get there Welsummers from them?) They sent me 17 which was nice. 1 died three hours after we got them...nothing sadder than seeing one of your little chickies die! The other 16 look to be thriving.
Here's my one and only question at this point. Is this a breed that tends to be quieter than others? My original 9 were twice as peepy as this batch of 16! They peep when they walk around and eat and drink...but not always...they are quiet more than peepy! Seriously my other chicks never shut their beaks!! LOL They have the right heat and are moving around the brooder fine.
Thanks in advance!

My experience with my beloved Welsummers is that they tend to be even noisier than other chickens; they seem to get a great deal of pleasure out of their loudness.
I'm glad we live in the country; they might be a problem in a town community.

...Is this a breed that tends to be quieter than others? My original 9 were twice as peepy as this batch of 16! They peep when they walk around and eat and drink...but not always...they are quiet more than peepy! Seriously my other chicks never shut their beaks!! LOL They have the right heat and are moving around the brooder fine.
Thanks in advance!

Every chick is different but it's possible that you didn't have the heat perfect your first try and now you do. Peeping is normal but relentless peeping can be discomfort/fear.

Back
Top Bottom