The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hello! I've got one Wellie and I'm hoping she's a she. Can you help me figure it out? She's 6 weeks today!

Introducing Hen Solo!

As a chick

And at 6 weeks

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks! It dawned on me this morning that with my son needing to show her this summer that I need to leave her wings and see if she continues to get out of the 4ft fence/consider covering. She, miraculously, stayed in yesterday. It may have been too much work for her, haha.

Woohoo! That's what I was hoping to hear! Thank you!
big_smile.png

Yay!! Thank you - and what a cutie girl you have yourself!! Do you mind sharing a picture of her if she's all grown up now? I'd love to see how her coloring turned out!
love.gif
Hachi, our resident escape artist. I love her so much. She loves to sing the song of her people around 830am...and she doesn't lay her eggs until noon.

Hi,

It has been a few months since I posted anything. I just wanted to update how my Welsummers are growing up. Technically they are still a cockerel and pullets since they aren't a year old yet right?

The bird pictured above is the only one that would stay still long enough for me to get a picture.

Here are some of the eggs I'm getting. I believe every female in my flock is represented except for two.

Yes, my flock is a mixed flock with only 3 of the pullets being Welsummers.

I have sure been enjoying those eggs.
I came over to this thread to research this breed that still may be available at my local feed store. If THOSE are Welsummers, I kind of think I HAVE to have a few! OMG They are Gorgeous!!!
I'll post my standard questions here as well.

OK, so I'm trying to reduce my impulsive gene potential (in Me, not my chickens). I recently saw 1-2 days old adorable Welsummer chicks at the feed store. Since I was there picking up a different breed and a 2nd breed sort of jumped into my hands, I thought, ok you need to just stop. Do some research, Then you can go back If this breed is suited for the human and other birds that compose our multi-species family (includes 3 dogs, 5 cats, 5 sugar gliders, assorted chickens).

The following is a list of the questions I seem to ask before deciding suitability. I'm not one to force a puzzle piece into a slot it doesn't naturally fit. That strategy only leads to problems down the line. Problems abound in life, enough so that I do my best to avoid creating them if possible to un-create them first.

Questions:
*Ideally I would want not a ton of new birds yet at least one male and one female, are there any signs to look for in order to either Know gender or Guesstimate the best I can?
*Do Welsummers tend to get along easily with other breeds?
*How are they at adaptation to change, e.g. when 2-3 months old a move to a different pen?
*Do they tolerate heat well (Northeast Florida, USDA zone 9a)?
* Approx grown up size and weight? Rate of growth (slow or fast developers)?
*Egg laying?
*Broody tendencies?
*Potential strengths and potential weaknesses (healthwise mainly, genetic Welsummer to Welsummer breeding, any other factors)?
*Docile breeds make easy prey targets, while fiesty breeds make still decent prey targets. I have 3 areas presently, plans though not timing for building the next. The next will likely be made up on interacting yet possibly separatible breeds of Brahma and Wyandotte (GLW). Two pens are entirely covered and have roofs. One pen has a night coop (same) and a huge day area (concern=air predation). We have more than a fair share of night predators and are making adjustments to the largest coop/pen/day range as I type. What kind of space, movement, range needs make them most happy?
*and here's where I ask for info on anything I don't know to ask...

Thanks in advance for your replies and time.

Back
Top Bottom