The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Anybody have LF gold duckwing welsummers? I'm just interested in seeing pics of them and the silver ones. I just saw in a different thread that they existed but there was no pic :hmm / only pic i could find in my brief search was said to be a mutt/project/bad example//

Last edited:
The following is a list of the questions I seem to ask before deciding suitability. I'm not one to force a puzzle piece into a slot it doesn't naturally fit. That strategy only leads to problems down the line. Problems abound in life, enough so that I do my best to avoid creating them if possible to un-create them first.

While I don't have time to answer all your questions, I will emphasize a couple of points of my opinion.
There is a big difference between hatchery birds (which you would find at the feed store) and a good breeder's line of Welsummers. The dark egg color is best found in breeder's lines. The possible exception of a hatchery bird that is of higher quality is the Whitmore Farms birds. I have also seen hatchery Wellies that were very different in disposition from my calm, easy going birds. They are terrific foragers and I have never lost one to a predator, even though I pasture raise in electric poultry netting in an area with tons of land and aerial predators. I find my roosters are terrific flock guardians, but they can have a "too protective" aggressive streak so I cull heavily for that. I don't know about sexing hatchery stock, but normally they sell them sexed. If not, look for dark, distinct chipmunk markings on females and less distinct, duller striping on males. Some lines of breeder stock are easily sexed, although there always seem to be a few who leave me guessing for a couple of weeks until their feathers come in.

OK, so I'm trying to reduce my impulsive gene potential (in Me, not my chickens). I recently saw 1-2 days old adorable Welsummer chicks at the feed store. Since I was there picking up a different breed and a 2nd breed sort of jumped into my hands, I thought, ok you need to just stop. Do some research, Then you can go back If this breed is suited for the human and other birds that compose our multi-species family (includes 3 dogs, 5 cats, 5 sugar gliders, assorted chickens). The following is a list of the questions I seem to ask before deciding suitability. I'm not one to force a puzzle piece into a slot it doesn't naturally fit. That strategy only leads to problems down the line. Problems abound in life, enough so that I do my best to avoid creating them if possible to un-create them first. Questions: [COLOR=333333]*Ideally I would want not a ton of new birds yet at least one male and one female, are there any signs to look for in order to either Know gender or Guesstimate the best I can?[/COLOR]
*Do Welsummers tend to get along easily with other breeds?
*How are they at adaptation to change, e.g. when 2-3 months old a move to a different pen?
*Do they tolerate heat well (Northeast Florida, USDA zone 9a)?
* Approx grown up size and weight? Rate of growth (slow or fast developers)?
*Egg laying?
*Broody tendencies?
*Potential strengths and potential weaknesses (healthwise mainly, genetic Welsummer to Welsummer breeding, any other factors)?
*Docile breeds make easy prey targets, while fiesty breeds make still decent prey targets. I have 3 areas presently, plans though not timing for building the next. The next will likely be made up on interacting yet possibly separatible breeds of Brahma and Wyandotte (GLW). Two pens are entirely covered and have roofs. One pen has a night coop (same) and a huge day area (concern=air predation). We have more than a fair share of night predators and are making adjustments to the largest coop/pen/day range as I type. What kind of space, movement, range needs make them most happy?
*and here's where I ask for info on anything I don't know to ask...

Thanks in advance for your replies and time.
I only have one Welsummer in my mixed flock. She was the youngest and smallest of the first 4 chicks I brought home. From the very first she doesn't take any pushing around from my RIR who is clearly the top of the pecking order, but she's very chill. She's not one to be picked up and handled but she does eat from my hand and comes when called. She isn't skittish around my dogs and is gentle enough that my graherids hand feed her. They're beautiful birds and I would get more if given the opportunity. Friendly enough but not demanding like my EE's

I have two Wellsummer hens, just over a year old. Both are outgoing and friendly, eat dried worm treats out of my hand, but don't want to be picked up. I have an enclosed fenced area with a small coop inside. I have a couple of folding chairs out there ( I sit and visit with my chickens from time to time), and they respond to being talked to by coming and sitting beside or in front of my chair, after checking to see if I have any treats for them. They like to be talked to and they like being around people, and will even snuggle up to my shoe and walk under my chair, but they will not allow anyone to pick them up.
They can be loud when they want to be. When they began laying at about 10 months of age they announced each egg loudly. They are beautiful, active, curious birds and a constant source of entertainment. Given shade and plenty of cool water, the handle summer heat well. We have cold winters in the N. Georgia Mtns, and they are cold hardy. They produce more eggs than we can use.

My 3 Willie girls are awesome. They follow the kids like they are flock members. They are calm, even to be carried. One, named Kitty, is extra sweet. She enjoys being on my lap and napping. My two cockerels, although pretty, are mean! They were hand raised and turned mean abou 6 months. Our eggs are super dark. I have some in the incubator, and cannot candle them. Too dark. Good sized eggs as well. They don't lay as often as our Rocks, but the eggs are pretty.

OK, so I'm trying to reduce my impulsive gene potential (in Me, not my chickens). I recently saw 1-2 days old adorable Welsummer chicks at the feed store. Since I was there picking up a different breed and a 2nd breed sort of jumped into my hands, I thought, ok you need to just stop. Do some research, Then you can go back If this breed is suited for the human and other birds that compose our multi-species family (includes 3 dogs, 5 cats, 5 sugar gliders, assorted chickens). The following is a list of the questions I seem to ask before deciding suitability. I'm not one to force a puzzle piece into a slot it doesn't naturally fit. That strategy only leads to problems down the line. Problems abound in life, enough so that I do my best to avoid creating them if possible to un-create them first. Questions: [COLOR=333333]*Ideally I would want not a ton of new birds yet at least one male and one female, are there any signs to look for in order to either Know gender or Guesstimate the best I can?[/COLOR]
*Do Welsummers tend to get along easily with other breeds?
*How are they at adaptation to change, e.g. when 2-3 months old a move to a different pen?
*Do they tolerate heat well (Northeast Florida, USDA zone 9a)?
* Approx grown up size and weight? Rate of growth (slow or fast developers)?
*Egg laying?
*Broody tendencies?
*Potential strengths and potential weaknesses (healthwise mainly, genetic Welsummer to Welsummer breeding, any other factors)?
*Docile breeds make easy prey targets, while fiesty breeds make still decent prey targets. I have 3 areas presently, plans though not timing for building the next. The next will likely be made up on interacting yet possibly separatible breeds of Brahma and Wyandotte (GLW). Two pens are entirely covered and have roofs. One pen has a night coop (same) and a huge day area (concern=air predation). We have more than a fair share of night predators and are making adjustments to the largest coop/pen/day range as I type. What kind of space, movement, range needs make them most happy?
*and here's where I ask for info on anything I don't know to ask...

Thanks in advance for your replies and time.
I only have one, but I will speak for her. She's a scrapper, chases all other birds out of our yard regardless of their size. She's very adaptable I have moved their pen several times and they were relocated to our new house. She would not do well in a small coop. She is the boss of our chickens. She just seems to need more space to roam around. Temperatures this year in Kentucky got down to the single digits and she was fine. Overall, I would say she's pretty hearty. She lays maybe four eggs a week, sometimes five. They are larger than our buff Orphington's eggs and seem to have more protein. She doesn't mind at all being shut in at night and actually goes to bed earlier than our book Orpington does. She was previously allowed to free range in our backyard, 1/3 acre all day, but recently I put up a fence to confine her. So, she has a 50 foot fence around our pan. To combat this she has jumped the four foot fence repeatedly.

Any advice on how to check if embryo is developing on Welsummer eggs? I really can't see anything when canceling, but what I think is the air sac. I don't know the exact day my kids put these eggs in the incubator. Two weeks and some days ago probably. I dated the originals, and they were 21 days on the 13th. I know these were placed in the incubator after the originals.

While I don't have time to answer all your questions, I will emphasize a couple of points of my opinion.
There is a big difference between hatchery birds (which you would find at the feed store) and a good breeder's line of Welsummers. The dark egg color is best found in breeder's lines. The possible exception of a hatchery bird that is of higher quality is the Whitmore Farms birds. I have also seen hatchery Wellies that were very different in disposition from my calm, easy going birds. They are terrific foragers and I have never lost one to a predator, even though I pasture raise in electric poultry netting in an area with tons of land and aerial predators. I find my roosters are terrific flock guardians, but they can have a "too protective" aggressive streak so I cull heavily for that. I don't know about sexing hatchery stock, but normally they sell them sexed. If not, look for dark, distinct chipmunk markings on females and less distinct, duller striping on males. Some lines of breeder stock are easily sexed, although there always seem to be a few who leave me guessing for a couple of weeks until their feathers come in.
Great info, thank you.
I went to the feed store again Saturday and picked out 2 chicks, from your description, who look like females. I was told they are sexed to within 90% accuracy and in this case I think they were sexed right (says the total beginner to this breed?)
Hazel and Mabel are very sweet and mild tempered. They're still getting used to their new surroundings and are in with 9 other chicks (5 Brahmas, 4 GLWs) that have all been adopted by my broody. They can't get enough of her soft silkie feathers and nurturing ways.
I'm happy with the decision.
I requested they try to get me a pre-sexed male. I find Welsummer males gorgeous!
I will take under advisement the over=protective potential. I had a roo like that I recently lost to a raccoon attack in the night. A terrible loss it was.
The feed store is trying to get me one male per new breed I selected, although one of the Brahmas may already be that.

I will keep reading here on this thread and as I get to know "The Welsummer Sisters" as I've found myself calling them, I will post pics and adventures.
I can't wait!

Hey there. I laughed with you on the escape artist. I too had a houdini and clipped her wing, actually 5 of my 6 girls took turns getting out and after i clipped all of them one was still getting out and found she had great skills going under the fence in one area so got that fixed and now everyone stays inside. The clipping works most of the time from what i read from the internet. I watched a few youtubes and was able to clip with no prob. I was a bit nervous but the hen settled down pretty easy and i was able to clip her by myself. What i did...i had my scissors ready,and i have an old bar top table to use outside so its tall. i am right handed, caught her, turned her so her head was tucked under my left arm snuggling her against me. Her feet were resting on the table top to hold her weight so my left hand was free to hold her wing open and steady for the feather cuts. You only trim one wing. It did solve my problem. I think it works best on a full mature hen that is heavier weight than the small birds. I think it is def easier if 2 people do this, one to hold and one to trim. You will be surprised how tough it is to cut through "feathers". You realy need an experienced birder or watch the videos.
Good luck
Can you plz explain to me, the novice why you clip only one wing? I'd much appreciate knowing. Thanks.

I only have one Welsummer in my mixed flock. She was the youngest and smallest of the first 4 chicks I brought home.
From the very first she doesn't take any pushing around from my RIR who is clearly the top of the pecking order, but she's very chill. She's not one to be picked up and handled but she does eat from my hand and comes when called. She isn't skittish around my dogs and is gentle enough that my graherids hand feed her.
They're beautiful birds and I would get more if given the opportunity. Friendly enough but not demanding like my EE's
Thank you.
Do you think handling this early or did you handle your Welsummer at 2-3 days old and forward influences their willingness to kind of take it in stride? I get that different breeds tend naturally to this and others don't but could be taught.
(Way back in the day when I wasn't "raising chickens",I just happened to be blessed by a Dominique roo someone gave me knowing that I love all creatures and would take great care of him.
We formed a bond that was other worldly and when he saw my car , then I entered the pen, he jumped up for me to catch him, rested his sweet face on my shoulder and took a nap while I walked with him). This doesn't sound like "natural" Welsummer behavior from what I'm reading. Somewhere between Mondo (the dom) and the Welsummer sisters I brought home Saturday at 2-3 days old, what can I expect, possibly, if I go about my usual routine of playing, holding, hand feeding etc?
I won't force them to accept my desired behavior of course. I will however use whatever charming techniques can influence them...

Back
Top Bottom