The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I have a chick that I 'think' might be a welsummer...what do you think? It's the one on the bottom left.
There are several breeds that are 'chipmunk' striped as chicks.
This one's pale legs leads me to believe it's not a Wellie as they have dark yellow legs. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Anybody want to take a guess at this new one? It's about 12 hrs old. To me, the defined V looks pullet, but the chick is pretty light colored overall.. thanks for your thoughts!

Question. If I bred my black copper Marans cockerel with my Welsummer hen, would the resulting chick produce darker speckled eggs or would I just gum up the process? . I have bcm pullets too but was thinking of putting my Welsummer in their space for a visit.
1f495.png

Question. If I bred my black copper Marans cockerel with my Welsummer hen, would the resulting chick produce darker speckled eggs or would I just gum up the process? . I have bcm pullets too but was thinking of putting my Welsummer in their space for a visit.
1f495.png
Would depend on how dark the egg in each line are...both those breeds can lay very dark or not so much.

Aart, my Welsummer lays pretty dark eggs. Probably a 5 on the Marans scale. The cockerel came from a 6 or 7 Marans egg. I was hoping to breed for a darker Welsummer egg. Of course the resulting birds would be mutts. So I guess that's not worth it.

Aart, my Welsummer lays pretty dark eggs. Probably a 5 on the Marans scale. The cockerel came from a 6 or 7 Marans egg. I was hoping to breed for a darker Welsummer egg. Of course the resulting birds would be mutts. So I guess that's not worth it.
Depends on your goals.
Probably would fall between in the darkness range, and you can hope the speckles come thru.

Ya. That's what I was thinking. Still thinking through the whole thing. Thanks for your input. I'll wait to see if any of my bcm chicks have dark speckled eggs before is meddle.

Ya. That's what I was thinking. Still thinking through the whole thing. Thanks for your input. I'll wait to see if any of my bcm chicks have dark speckled eggs before is meddle.
I thought speckles were more likely from certain lines of Wellies than Marans.

Back
Top Bottom