The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I see three or four that are terra cotta colors while the others are brown.

The bantam Welsummers they are darker than the parents we (both me and the breeder you bought them from) are darker. Here is the original pictures of the hatching eggs when I got them....

WelsummerBantameggs057.jpg
they were more of a brown tint color and the birds from that lot, gave me even a shade or two darker. These were the 100% German lines. The Dutch lines are a bit more darker than mine.

Keep selecting and breeding the darkest egg colors you get from the flock. Don't forget to cull that does not meet the standards.

Ewesheep, I'm not familiar with the other german and dutch variety. Why are their eggs so much lighter... or better question, how did our American lines get so much darker?

The German Welsummer bantams were around alot longer than the Dutch Welsummer Bantams.

I am sure Nate has more information regarding to the importation of the Dutch Welsummer Bantams than I do. I know it started with Andre Van'tWeistande who he imported some bantam eggs in the US but I am guessing it would be around 2004 is when he imported them?????

The Germans didnt have the darkest eggs but breeders are trying to in the last four to five generations from the original imports of German Welsummer Bantams, started off in Canada. Then Erhard imported them from Canada quite a long time ago it seems like to him LOL! He only hatches out the darkest of eggs he possibly can. So there were no imports since then until Andre imported the Dutch Welsummer Bantams.

Nate has the largest Dutch Welsummer Bantams in the US, I mean, there were NO other origin mixed into the Welsummer Bantams, strictly Dutch or Netherland imports or lines, nothing else.

Gamesbirds out from ID has the mix of the two, lovely they are but I don't remember what his bantam eggs look like, maybe he can show us what they look like by posting some of his crosses. He does have both Germans and Dutch running together.

As for me, even I have two German Welsummer Bantams, I am not going to breed them unless one desired to have some specifically. Otherwise, I am breeding Dutch Welsummer Bantams and sticking with it and I do love their dark egg colors! It got a real terra cotta color to it than tint brown. My camera can not justify the color I am seeing.

OH Nate, need more females LOL! Better get a bantam roo coming fall this year!

Last edited:
Quote:
The AMESTEIN(dutch/holland/netherland) bantams were imported in 2008. I got the first babies out of the imports middle of 2009, started hatching that fall of 2009. In 2010, I hatched around 200 bantams I think, I will have to check my hatching log and see. Out of those 200, I saved the best 15 pullets, and 2 roosters. I also have 2 new 2010 import roosters coming this spring! :) Andre is a great wealth of knowledge, as his home town is right in the netherlands, and only 20 miles from Barneveld. I tried to get in contact to import some DOUBLE SILVER LACED BARNEVELDERS - but to my knowledge, and his, it is a recent creation, and in the Netherlands, they only have the DSL barnies in bantams.

I do have the largest flock of DUTCH bantams in the USA to date! I fell that I have achieved what the dutch are looking for.

FIRST I SELECTED FOR EGG COLOR, SECONDLY BODY SHAPE/TYPE, THIRD FEATHERING, 4TH EGG COLOR!!! About 50% of my welsummer bantams lay a daker egg with speckles, I select the speckled eggs, hatch them, and band all of those chicks, to try and darken the eggs in future generations. My hopes are that the speckling with get worked out all over the egg in time, we'll see. I dont want to loose the speckling on the bantam eggs, I think it will be crutial in making the eggs darker. If people order bantam eggs from me, I usually try and send 50/50, unless they want plain or speckled.

I love the speckled eggs the best on both LF and bantams.

Next on the AGENDA is trying to get some Lf eggs from some TOP DUTCH BREEDERS, and some from TOP UK breeders, I am hoping that I can be successful in that in 2011, but it is still up in the air...

Nate

With Nate's help, he has been a valuable asset to the club too!

Our members have been a big help in making decisions about the club as well! I love the responses of the votes about the White Welsummers and you would not believe how many said NO or not acceptable to them to have a White Welsummer. Majority rules and it makes a big difference as well how serious we all are about Welsummers.

Back
Top Bottom