The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hey folks, anyone can click on the WCNA website? I don't have any problems accessing to it.

However our newest member, Will Morrow of Whitmore Farms is trying to get into the site but unable to access because of the "error" statement. Is there anything I can help him with in accessing the site? I did invite him and he tried accepting and it still came up with "error" statement.

Anyone had problems?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:I signed in no problem

3. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Quote:HI BEEKER!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Good to see you again! Don't stay away so long next time! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Very LOVELY EGGS!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations! So jealous you live so close to CP. [​IMG]
    CP has beautiful birds and eggs......me thinks...one day, I am going to hit her up for a box full of all kinds of eggs from her pretty birdies and I don't care what breed they come from. [​IMG] Have you seen that girls Blue Laced Red Wyandottes?????? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Awwww....thanks you guys [​IMG]

Katherine...It has been so great to have some one local to share and talk chicken with. I am excited to work on some of the breeds with you and it will be great to outcross with you occasionally without
    totally outcrossing.

Pink....I'll send you that box anytime....just let me know when you are ready [​IMG]. It will for sure have some eggs from my original super productive, super dark egg gene Blue Copper girl.
    I'd love to see what her offspring throws with the gnarly Gnarles [​IMG].

As to the Wellies....these are not my favorites. The only thing that keeps them around are the nice eggs and I like my new roo Jesse. I will have to get an updated pic...he is a hulk.
    They are not very productive for me. PRODUCTIVITY is one of the most important things I breed for. I am used to my other breeds starting early (19-22) weeks and laying 9-10 months out of the
    year. I have Ameraucanas and Marans that outlay my hatchery Buff Orps. The Wellies, on the other hand, have taken 7-9 months before onset of lay. They laid great for me for a few months last spring,
    then stopped in June when the weather got hot. After that they took fall off for molt, and only one older girl has resumed laying. I'm wondering if the FL summers are too much for them [​IMG].
    I will be checking with you Katherine to see how well yours lay in our climate.

I do have ONE girl, Josie, that is super productive. She took six weeks off to raise and brood chicks, then another 3 weeks just recently to molt. Other than that she has laid an average of 5 eggs a week
    all year. I am growing out only her pullets in an attempt to incorporate her "productivity gene". Fortunately she is my darkest egg layer.....unfortunately she threw a chick with feather stubs [​IMG]

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    cpartist, I checked out your blog, you have some beautiful birds!!!

5. cpartist

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Thanks faykoko [​IMG]

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    HI CP!!!!! [​IMG] Been a long time [​IMG]......you been hidin' out?

Girl....you don't have to just send eggs.....send that Blue Copper hen too. [​IMG] [​IMG] Kidding! She and Gnarly would make some cool babies wouldn't they?
    I've been eyeballing those BLR's of yours for sometime.......[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anywho......back to Wellies, I'm sorry you are kinda frustrated with the laying productivity of them. My girls are laying up a storm for just 4 girls and one being in one of the worst molts I've ever seen. I haven't experienced any productivity loss in the summers, but then again my summers aren't even close to yours, but Wellies aren't suppose to be egg laying machines, but they should be pretty consistant.

I totally hear ya on the feather stub issue!!!!!!!!!! OMGosh..............[​IMG] I hear ya!!!!!!!!

My girls and boy will be taking a very long break after all of their hatching egg orders are filled......they are going to spend the spring, summer and fall out on pasture and then they will be spending the rest of the year in the laying flock....(IF ANYONE WANTS EGGS THEY SHOULD HOLLER AT ME PRETTY SOON because it could be until next spring before I seperate them again or longer). I will be tossing in one more batch of eggs for myself...need some more girls for next year and still trying for a good extra cockerel to keep around.

Luanne~ I would love to have some of your beautiful eggs....whenever you have them...you just let me know and I'm all over it. I always have plenty of room in my 'bator. [​IMG] Which works WONDERFULLY and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR THAT LENSTERS?????.......I LOVE IT!!!!! [​IMG]

7. rsquared

rsquared Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Pinks,

Had sent you a pm, thinking you might not have received it. Want to add Wellies to my BlueC order when my name is top o the list [​IMG] If you want to send sooner, no problem totally willing to pay the shipping AND the incubator(s) are running. Would like to be totally finished hatching here by early Spring.

Risa

8. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Pinks,

Had sent you a pm, thinking you might not have received it. Want to add Wellies to my BlueC order when my name is top o the list [​IMG] If you want to send sooner, no problem totally willing to pay the shipping AND the incubator(s) are running. Would like to be totally finished hatching here by early Spring.

Risa

Sorry Risa...my PM's are totally full....I am going to work on that today. I'm trying to touch base with a couple of folks to see what they would like me to do with their orders and then I can get in touch with you and see what I can do, shouldn't be a problem. It's coming up pretty quick. [​IMG]

9. cpartist

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Kim, I will email you tonight for your address and get a box of assorteds out to you.

I've been around, but spending a lot of time back reading through the Delaware threads
    and learning as much as I can from the smart people over there [​IMG].

Also, I blew out my knee a while ago and was not able to squat to get good update photos [​IMG]

10. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Sorry I'm sure you all are sick of seeing these, but the pics are for Kim and anyone else that wants to help with the finals on the sexing quiz!!

These are a positive pullet with either the brown band or the no band, to help determine their sex...any ideas

white cockerel
    gold pullet
    orange cockerel
    lavender pullet
    blue pullet
    red pullet
    green pullet
    brown ???
    black pullet
    no band ???

NO BAND
    [​IMG]