The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you Cheryl for taking the time to post extra photos! Most awesome photos too! No band is definately a cockerel and I am going to say so is brown band. [​IMG]

2. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    ok then, so 6 pullets and 4 cockerels.

Who wants these FREE cockerels, I can ship!!

3. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

I would, except that I'm on Kim's egg list and so will likely have more cockerels than I need after all in a month or so.

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I've seen "feather stubs" mentioned a couple of times... Excuse my ignorance but.... What Dat Mean?

5. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:feathers growing out of the leg when the bird shouldn't have feathered legs. Sometimes can be due to using breeder to closely related.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Will Morrow had problems with his computer and now he can access the website and he joined the WCNA website membership list! Woooooo hooooooo!

He did mentioned that he is going to write an article (or two please!) about the Welsummers. Can not wait to see what he will write!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:feathers growing out of the leg when the bird shouldn't have feathered legs. Sometimes can be due to using breeder to closely related.

Or some certain strains can bring that feather stubs and if you do have a chick that has feather stubs, you will have to eliminate the chick from the Welsummer breedings, perfect for a egg layer flock!

8. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    This was the greetings from the Wellie coop yesterday......

I was going to try and get that egg you see barely peeking out by her leg.
    [​IMG]

The reaction I got as I was going in for it......[​IMG] That look is totally brutal! So was the strike.
    [​IMG]

It made it about this far before I dropped it because she pecked my hand and drew blood. Meanie!
    [​IMG]

Oh...now that we have our egg back, we actually look kind of sweet again. [​IMG] I left her to her egg as she cussed me right out the coop. She told on me to anyone who would listen for about the next 20 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  9. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Kim, is that one of MY eggs she's holding on to??????????

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Yes. [​IMG]

edited to say....No sorry that is not your egg, these go to shesaredroan in Texas on Monday. [​IMG] Had to take a look at my calendar and get right. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by