The Welsummer Thread!!!!

They aren't supposed to be. They came from a breeder in Dalton GA. Of course this was the same breeder who sold my jacked up Jersey Giants, but I did see the breeding pen they csme from and they loomed like really nice Wellsumers. I don't know why I try I have better luck with birds from the feed store.

They aren't supposed to be. They came from a breeder in Dalton GA. Of course this was the same breeder who sold my jacked up Jersey Giants, but I did see the breeding pen they csme from and they loomed like really nice Wellsumers. I don't know why I try I have better luck with birds from the feed store.
The only one I can think of location wise is Taylor Hobby Farms who also raises JG.

Welsummer roos should not have a solid brown or mostly brown chest. It DOES happen every so often but rarely unless someone has been crossing them with something else.

It is a roo, not pullet.

if you're unsure, my advice would be to ask lots of questions of the breeder - what are their breeder stock selection criteria, how many generations have they had the birds, what known faults are present in the birds, do they have pictures of their flock etc.
CSP is not too far from me. Their Welsummers are ok and they had them in the last three or four years I've noticed them having Welsummers and Ameraucanas. Reviews were mixed.

Their pictures of their flock is on their website.

there's a big difference between breeding and raising. A good breeder needs to be able to point out to you what the positive and negative traits are in their birds. Part of the purpose of the WCNA is educating people on what Welsummers should look like.

I can't say it enough, the biggest mistake I made was not getting an SOP, or at least learning the SOP earlier. The more pictures you can look at that are good examples of the breed, the better off you will be as well. I've also said before, I thought my hatchery Welsummers looked great until I saw the real thing!

there's a big difference between breeding and raising. A good breeder needs to be able to point out to you what the positive and negative traits are in their birds. Part of the purpose of the WCNA is educating people on what Welsummers should look like.

I can't say it enough, the biggest mistake I made was not getting an SOP, or at least learning the SOP earlier. The more pictures you can look at that are good examples of the breed, the better off you will be as well. I've also said before, I thought my hatchery Welsummers looked great until I saw the real thing!
I know, we all had to learn to read the SOP which I only had the past edition of it. But I am an visual person and comparing all kinds and all types of Welsummers out there.

The only one I can think of location wise is Taylor Hobby Farms who also raises JG. 

Welsummer roos should not have a solid brown or mostly brown chest. It DOES happen every so often but rarely unless someone has been crossing them with something else.

It is a roo, not pullet.

They did not come from Taylors.

I know, we all had to learn to read the SOP which I only had the past edition of it. But I am an visual person and comparing all kinds and all types of Welsummers out there.

I bought them as week old chicks. Birds in breeding pen looked good.

He isn't lumpy. It had been raining.

Back
Top Bottom