The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Well, any chicken is better than no chickens at all. I would say continue your quest to acquire the chickens you want, and grow and prosper in the Fancy. We all had to learn lessons (I could write a book!) and just chalk this up to experience. If you have birds for 10 or 20 years, this is just a blip on the radar screen. I think you will be fine in the long run.
If you really want Wellies, learn from the website(s) about sexing them at day old, 2 months, 4 months, etc. and that will help.Experience is a great teacher. I have a Masters Degree in Experience. You will too.

Well evedintly I'm on the fast track to a doctorate. I don't need more roosters. This will be 7 & 8. I can't bring myself to kill and eat anything I raise so what do I do with them now?

Well evedintly I'm on the fast track to a doctorate. I don't need more roosters. This will be 7 & 8. I can't bring myself to kill and eat anything I raise so what do I do with them now?

Find somebody who does? Trade them with somebody else who can't kill their own birds? You process theirs, they process yours? We did that when I was growing up, it helps not to be caregiver then life-taker on the same birds.

One of the things I had to do when I decided to hatch and raise chickens was realize that these are CHICKENS, and they were bred to be eaten, either their eggs or their meat. If I couldn't kill them myself and eat them I would have to accept that when I sold or gave away the excess boys that would probably be their fate. If I couldn't accept that, then I needed NOT to bring any more into this world. I still would rather trade for unknown birds to process, but I haven't found anybody here yet. So I talk myself into doing the deed. It takes me a long time, I have one here going on two months now. I have to dis-associate myself from the bird.
hmm.png

Hello! I am looking for a Welsummer breeder in Arizona... Can anyone help me out?

well my friend and I are trying but it's always something; lost a decent hen and her better looking daughter to preds this summer; other things happening. My friend sent me her girls, because she doesn't have a roo; my boy has had a terrible case of feather mites (I dusted everyone with DE, thought that was good enough, then spent two months doing about 50 hours a week a work, recently found the mites never slowed down; hopefully with some sulfur we have that licked, of course now they are all molting) I'm thinking of ordering hatching eggs when things cool off, because I haven't got the best looking birds and can't find any really good ones here. Soooo maybe next year ;-)

so if you find some, please let me know~!

Welsummers are one of the breeds I am looking at breeding and showing but I read in one of the threads that welsummers can be difficult to win with at show because the judges are not as familiar with them. What is everyones thoughts on showing welsummers? Also is their breeders who are winning at shows with welsummers?

Back
Top Bottom