The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I can say that my Wellies all have started laying after 6 months at least, some not till 8 months.
And, they are somewhat noisy at times, too.

I have read that Welsummers are usually later to mature and lay, but I have one that laid at 19 1/2 weeks, and another at 21. The other two have not started yet.

Welsummer on the left, Orpington top and right, and Dominique bottom.

Yes they are, I recognize your screen name! Small world huh lol. Sadly one did die but the second one in question is looking a lot better. If it does make it looks like I will have 5 pullets and 2 roos. 
Hey that's awesome. Glad you ended up with more pullets than roos. My last couple hatches were the other way around. Lol

I have read that Welsummers are usually later to mature and lay, but I have one that laid at 19 1/2 weeks, and another at 21. The other two have not started yet.

Welsummer on the left, Orpington top and right, and Dominique bottom.
Breeder stock typically lay later. If you have hatchery stock, like all hatchery birds, they are bred for high production - so you would probably have eggs earlier. I've never had hatchery wellies, but my other hatchery girls (that are now 4 1/2 years old) laid early.

Thanks for all the info now maybe my husband will calm down as he keeps thinking the neighbours would get upset but I can't hardly hear them with windows closed:);)

I seem to have certain birds in certain pens that get them real bad. I"m sure it is something about that particular bird, I have also noticed that birds that have some other health issue usually have some of the worst infestations. Whether the mites are attracted to sick birds or the birds get sick because they are weakened by the mites I have no idea.
That is a great thing to know; do you use the finely powdered sulfur? Here our soil is very alkaline and I buy soil sulfur, which has been pelletized to add to the soil to bring down the pH; wonder if that would work too?
We use the powdered sulfur you have to put more down after each rain. But it is well worth it around here! I suppose that any of the sulfur would work on snakes it is said that the sulfur burns them is why they won't cross it.

Back
Top Bottom