The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Awesome!
thumbsup.gif
Good Job

well 14 eggs shipped, one arrived smashed, one of was cracked. Of the 12 left it looked like maybe 5 or 6 started to develop. But only one actually kept going; the others were quitters or stinkers. So, one little lonely Wellie and it looks like a boy. Which is OK, I could use a good boy.

well 14 eggs shipped, one arrived smashed, one of was cracked. Of the 12 left it looked like maybe 5 or 6 started to develop. But only one actually kept going; the others were quitters or stinkers. So, one little lonely Wellie and it looks like a boy. Which is OK, I could use a good boy.

Yes, that is the hazards of shipped eggs. My ratio was all over the book on the shipped eggs I received, anywhere from 0 out of 16 to 4 out of 6. Depends on the postal worker's attitude that day I guess
sad.png
Glad you got one, but more would have been nice.

I'm back with my definite roos, but are they Welsummers? I bought them as pullets...

One has broken one of his toes and I have gotten attached to him and he is a sweetie. The other is beginning to get aggressive and has to find a new home or go into the stew pot.

Well that answers that when I put pics on here of them before I was told they looked like mixes, but I was expecting them to be pullets. They are getting really pretty. The one with the broken two is a big pet and gets a long well with everyone. I have him in the coop with my bantam because it has a enclosed run. My LF flock free range and he kept re injuring it so now he is in confinement. It does seem to be healing nicely. Now his brother is getting feisty and aggressive towards the other birds. Is that typical of Welsummers or is it just him being a teenager? If he will out grow this behavior I may try to keep him and get pullets. I believe he is the nicer of the two, but I don't want a mean roo to deal with all the time.

I'm back with my definite roos, but are they Welsummers? I bought them as pullets...

One has broken one of his toes and I have gotten attached to him and he is a sweetie. The other is beginning to get aggressive and has to find a new home or go into the stew pot.

The coloring looks like Welsummer - but the body shape looks off to me - of course its hard to tell until they are full grown. the roo in the first picture looks more "round" in shape that a Welsummer typically does at that age. Also, don't wait to get rid of the aggressive roo - its not going to get better

Back
Top Bottom