The Welsummer Thread!!!!

My Wellies are growing up...not show birds or part of any breeding regime, but not hatchery birds as far as I know.
Any comments on their conformity would be welcome

Wilma at 13 weeks:

Woody at 12 weeks...he's still got a bald spot and a 'cowlick':

Woody had a growth spurt this last week or so, he was markedly smaller than Wilma before but now is a tad bigger...and I think he's trying to crow, haven't seen it but he's the oldest junior roo in the coop and it cracks me up to hear it.
They look very nice at their age. You won't be able to evaluate them further until they are older.

Hi all,
I need a bit of help with my broody Welsummer. She's quite stubborn and despite not having any eggs to sit on, she continues to go straight back into the nesting box at any opportunity. She has also recently started to have a very dirty and dry comb. So dry that it appears to be cracking and bleeding a bit (I do not think my other girls are attacking her in any way). As an added bonus, she's also got a chunk of poop stuck to her fluffy butt feathers (her vent does not appear to be blocked by this). I need advice on a) how to break her broody habit, b) what, if anything, I should do for her poor comb, and c) what, if anything, I should do for her crusty bum feathers.
Help!
Sounds like she's getting pecked to leave the nest box. If you are not going to give her eggs, it's best to break her. Search breaking a broody and you will get a lot of threads to read. On the poopy butt, if it's really bad, you can wash her. If it's a dry chunk, then you can trim her rear feathers with scissors.

Hi. Haven't posted in a while, but just hatched out some welsummer chicks and got a bit of a surprise. 2 of the chicks are unusually colored. One looks like it could be isabelle, and the other maybe just very light, but I'd like your opinions, please. Ordered eggs from a seller on here.
Isabelle?

Isabelle?

Here he is in front of the rusty light chick, with a normal chick in back.

Here is my 'isabelle' on the far right, with the light rusty one in the middle, and a normal welsummer on the far left.

And here they are, both in front, with their surrogate mom. Any thoughts or insights welcome.
Any chance the eggs are from a different hen? Pictures of parents?

Don't know. I ordered eggs from a seller on here and didn't think he had other breeds? But I guess I should ask.
i no i'll get a beat down for this but i am going to say it anyways ..i no i have hatchery birds and i no they may not meet the standerds of alot of folks on here .i think my birds are just what i ordered and altho they may not win top prize at the fair they still win top shelf in my heart..they are exactly what i exspected when i bought them ..besides the breeders had to have gotten their birds from somewere and i would bet they all came from a hatchery some were at some time..my great uncle used to buy his birds from sears and robucks or the speagale catalog..he was considered a breeder back in his time ..so to take a breed of birds and work them and cull off the bad ones is common but it all started the same way i bet..from someone ordering birds..

i think its like the forest gump statement that buying eggs or chicks is like a box of chocolets and ya never no what your going to get ...weather it be from hachery or someone who calls them self a breeder..mistakes are made some were along the line..

hey you never no that bird could be the next grand champion at your state fair..just like one of mine could be ..

Last edited:
I wondered if anyone could lend some of their knowledge on my 6 week old welsummer. I'm thinking s/he is a roo because s/he looks much different than my other welsummer, so I'm guessing either roo or a mix up breed wise. This one has always been behind the others feathering in.

Thanks!

Coconut the Wellie at three weeks old (today!). She seems to be babying one of her wings, and the [knuckle???] of her left wing is a little discolored. I wonder if she could have bruised it somehow... She's active, flapping and flying, and her energy is fine so I'm not too worried.

I wondered if anyone could lend some of their knowledge on my 6 week old welsummer. I'm thinking s/he is a roo because s/he looks much different than my other welsummer, so I'm guessing either roo or a mix up breed wise. This one has always been behind the others feathering in.

Thanks!
i no my roo at 6 weeks had a comb much larger and alot pinker..i am guessing its a hen .just my guess but mine are just 8 weeks and that looks like my hens minus the speckling..

Last edited:
At this age I always go by the breast feathers - which in this case indicate a hen.
Males usually show some dark feathers by this age.

Thanks!

I would say its a pullet, but I don't think its pure welsummer - when you look closely at the feather pattern, it appears to have lacing - may have been crossed with a Barnevelder at some point in it lineage

i no my roo at 6 weeks had a comb much larger and alot pinker..i am guessing its a hen .just my guess but mine are just 8 weeks and that looks like my hens minus the speckling..

At this age I always go by the breast feathers - which in this case indicate a hen.
Males usually show some dark feathers by this age.

I would say its a pullet, but I don't think its pure welsummer - when you look closely at the feather pattern, it appears to have lacing - may have been crossed with a Barnevelder at some point in it lineage

Thanks everyone for your input! Looks like there's more chance of it being a girl, I was sure I had a roo but then again these are my first welsummers. And @faykokoWV I agree there might be something else mixed in due to my other welsummer being so much lighter.

Last edited:
Pic just for Kicks:

Woody(13wks) and Wilma(14wks) and their flock mates.
Just confirmed that it is Woody in the Jr flock who is learning to crow.

Back
Top Bottom