The Welsummer Thread!!!!

My 3new welly chicks hatched week ago!
They are so sweet!
Aaaw... Congrats!
I'm thinking of getting a Welsummer...know of any good breeders near Northern NV that offer small orders of chicks and that maybe maybe sex the chicks? Is that too much to ask for? Because I don't want to have a rooster just yet, don't want a gigantic flock, and don't want to pay a lot of money for a fully grown chicken. Please respond!
And congrats again on your chicks!
jumpy.gif
Can I have them? LOL!

Aaaw... Congrats!
I'm thinking of getting a Welsummer...know of any good breeders near Northern NV that offer small orders of chicks and that maybe maybe sex the chicks? Is that too much to ask for? Because I don't want to have a rooster just yet, don't want a gigantic flock, and don't want to pay a lot of money for a fully grown chicken. Please respond!
jumpy.gif
Can I have them? LOL!
Hello!

You could check the WCNA website for a breeder close to you. If you don't find anyone close to you that has them, I would be happy to ship you a few chicks in the Spring when it warms up. I'll be hatching in a few weeks, but it is way too cold to ship chicks right now, I'm in Iowa. Hopefully you can find some closer and sooner! Best of luck in your search!

Aaaw... Congrats!
jumpy.gif
Can I have them? LOL!
I'm in Northern CA and may have a spare female in the spring. I pick my breeders, then the rest get sold as layers.

I also ship hatching eggs, if you want to go that route. I have a couple people on my list for first thing in the spring, so I could add you behind them.

Have any of you used Welp Hatchery? I had an add up on Craigslist trying to find someone local that will have Welsummers and a Barred Rock breeder contacted me to let me know one of the CAL Ranch stores about 2 hours from me uses Welp for Chick Days and carries Welsummer chicks.

Just wondering what the quality of them is

Last edited:
Have any of you used Welp Hatchery? I had an add up on Craigslist trying to find someone local that will have Welsummers and a Barred Rock breeder contacted me to let me know one of the CAL Ranch stores about 2 hours from me uses Welp for Chick Days and carries Welsummer chicks.

Just wondering what the quality of them is

you will never get the same quality from a hatchery as you would from a breeder. That doesn't mean that hatchery birds wouldn't meet your needs. If you're not going to breed them and aren't going to show them, a hatchery bird is fine. If you're looking for good egg color though, the hatchery probably won't be as dark as what you would get from a breeder either.

Where did you get your birds from? I am looking for a good Welsummer breeder. I bought 18 birds from Cackle Hatchery this spring, and non of them are any good. In spite of being handled every day they are still very flighty and of 10 hens I get around 4-5 eggs per day.

Where did you get your birds from? I am looking for a good Welsummer breeder. I bought 18 birds from Cackle Hatchery this spring, and non of them are any good. In spite of being handled every day they are still very flighty and of 10 hens I get around 4-5 eggs per day.
Can you submit pictures of them? I would love to know what Cackle's Hatchery Welsummers look like!

Most of us got them from breeders. Where are you located?

Where did you get your birds from?  I am looking for a good Welsummer breeder. I bought 18 birds from Cackle Hatchery this spring, and non of them are any good.  In spite of being handled every day they are still very flighty and of 10 hens I get around 4-5 eggs per day.  

Can you submit pictures of them? I would love to know what Cackle's Hatchery Welsummers look like!

Sorry if I am butting in on the conversation. I plan to order hatching eggs this spring, not sure from where yet, but I am using the list on the Welsummer breeders site (Welsummer Club of North America?)

I had 3 (now 2) hatchery Welsummers from Meyer hatchery. The birds are very pretty, but the body type was different in each one (one was quite small, one medium, one large). One has a gorgeous egg, large and dark, the second is darkish with speckles, and the third had a less impressive egg.

I really love the dark eggs. I want to try adding better quality Welsummers, because my Marans, whose eggs are beautiful, spends the entire summer and beyond being broody. I did have a Welsummer that went broody too, but not forever like the Marans. I hope I am not wrong in assuming that Welsummers are less broody, since I am making this judgement based on my experience with only 3 birds!

It might take a bit to get decent pics as the weather outside is, frightful... I will try to get some decent pics once they have gone in for the night.

I am located just outside of Boise Idaho. The birds look nice for hatchery stock but the egg color is pretty light compared to the two Welsummer hens I had several years ago. I bought them from a craigslist ad. A family had gotten the chicken bug then figured out they require work so were selling them. Those two hens were amazing, beautiful, smart, friendly, good layers, basically everything the breed should be. I really wish I had asked were they got them from! I wanted to breed them because of the autosexing chicks, dark egg color, and great temperament.

Sorry if I am butting in on the conversation. I plan to order hatching eggs this spring, not sure from where yet, but I am using the list on the Welsummer breeders site (Welsummer Club of North America?)
I had 3 (now 2) hatchery Welsummers from Meyer hatchery. The birds are very pretty, but the body type was different in each one (one was quite small, one medium, one large). One has a gorgeous egg, large and dark, the second is darkish with speckles, and the third had a less impressive egg.
I really love the dark eggs. I want to try adding better quality Welsummers, because my Marans, whose eggs are beautiful, spends the entire summer and beyond being broody. I did have a Welsummer that went broody too, but not forever like the Marans. I hope I am not wrong in assuming that Welsummers are less broody, since I am making this judgement based on my experience with only 3 birds!
Mine have not been very broody. They'll get a notion in the spring and sit on the nest for up to a week or so , but they get over it pretty quickly and are easily kicked off the nest and forget to go back on. None of mine have gone full on broody. In the winter they will sit on the eggs during the day and go to roost at night. I like to think they are keeping the eggs from freezing. Mostly, whenever a hen is on the nest, there is an egg there later.

The other thing I noticed, my Wellies lay in the afternoon to late afternoon/ evening. My regular brown egg layers lay in the morning.

My Ameraucanas, on the other hand....I have a blue hen that goes full on bug house....running back to the nest when I take her off, not eating and losing weight, clucking and puffing up on everyone. She's about 3 years old and just started this last summer. I feel bad for her, she tried to hatch a golf ball for over a month. I will have to seperate her and put some eggs under her this spring. She seems pretty determined.

Back
Top Bottom