The Welsummer Thread!!!!

At what age should I know for sure if my Welsummer chick is a male or female? It's about 3 weeks or so now think. It's comb is what is worrying me, but the chest feathers that are starting to come in have no black in them. Sorry I can't post pictures. I bought it straight run. I had two to choose from, and I picked the one that had the darkest V and eyeliner.

The pullets have only real light salmon colored feathers. Cockerels have brown/black. Also if showing a comb at 3 weeks I would be concerned.

This is a Welsummer pullet at around 6weeks

Welsummer cockerel same age on the right.

This is a Welsummer pullet at around 6weeks

Welsummer cockerel same age on the right.
Great comprison shots. Mine were six weeks yesterday so it was good to see a same age comparable. I was able to pick out my 5 pullets from the breeder. I just picked those whith the most clear eyeliner, head caps, and back stripe, so I was fairly confident that I had all females (it made it easier that I didn't have to try to accurately sex all 50+ chicks, I was the first buyer so just got the most obvious). However, there is always that chance, and I've been reading and looking to make sure, these pictures make it clear that they are all girls as planned!

Back
Top Bottom