The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Welsummers! The only thing I can think of that you would need to be aware of, is that Welsummers take a while longer to start laying- usually- but their longevity is great.
Thanks for the heads up. Since the roo is a gift to my husband for being such a sweetie and caring for my birds while I'm at work. I sort of launched the whole chicken thing on him. Poor guy I mentioned it a couple of times in conversation, the next thing he knew I was out back with my power tools and a bunch of wood lol. My DH is spending the wait time until my chickens ship figuring out what all powerful name will best represent "HIS" Rooster lol. I also uploaded a random pic of one as a screen saver for now :)

Super cool, I'm new to owning a Welsummer she's 4wks and super sweet my sons favorite!
All of the descriptions and photos I've read really build this breed up into an great choice, I can't wait until they arrive in September...but I guess we will have to since all of the Roosters went to fill "mystery chick" orders arggggg

Hi everyone! Am totally new to chicken genetics - so am asking out of curiosity and breeding purpose (of course
wink.png
), but how does one obtain a roo with blacker chest feathers? It's the father roo who passes this gene, right? I have a roo with 60% black & 40% brown chest feathers, and hatched out 3 roos. Two have the same percentage of chest feathers as daddy roo, and the third has totally brown chest feathers. The third guy threw me as I was iffy on him being a roo because his chest feathers were too salmon colored. I'll be setting to incubate in a few days, but wanted to know the potential outcomes. Thanks!

Hi everyone! Am totally new to chicken genetics - so am asking out of curiosity and breeding purpose (of course
wink.png
), but how does one obtain a roo with blacker chest feathers? It's the father roo who passes this gene, right? I have a roo with 60% black & 40% brown chest feathers, and hatched out 3 roos. Two have the same percentage of chest feathers as daddy roo, and the third has totally brown chest feathers. The third guy threw me as I was iffy on him being a roo because his chest feathers were too salmon colored. I'll be setting to incubate in a few days, but wanted to know the potential outcomes. Thanks!

let me start by saying genetics aren't my strong suit..if I'm wrong on this -PLEASE - someone correct me!!

but here's my understanding of it.

the lighter color chest is recessive - so chances are the father is carrying this trait but its not visible. (I'd like to clarify - when you say his chest has "brown" is it the reddish brown or is it peachy/salmon colored?). Because the lighter chest coloring is recessive, you won't know which male offspring have this trait as well. i would not use the third roo you mentioned for breeding.

The hen is throwing a gene in the mix for this as well, are you tracking which hen is the mother? for a recessive gene to visibly show, she has to have one in the mix as well - just like blue eyes.

Back
Top Bottom