The Welsummer Thread!!!!

These are the best pics I could get of chicks breast feathers:
7292_4198896230334_426801436_n.jpg

Hello :) I have a question for you seasoned Welsummer keepers. We want to get one or 2 hens in the summer as part of our mini flock, and I don't know if we'll ever hatch eggs but I want a Welsummer rooster because they are BEAUTIFUL. I read on ONE site that the chicks are auto-sexing, but no-where else seems to back this up, I haven't seen them on any lists of auto-sexing breeds. If we were to hatch chicks, the auto-sexing would be so useful, it might make the difference between getting a cream legbar rooster and a wellie :)

Hello :) I have a question for you seasoned Welsummer keepers. We want to get one or 2 hens in the summer as part of our mini flock, and I don't know if we'll ever hatch eggs but I want a Welsummer rooster because they are BEAUTIFUL. I read on ONE site that the chicks are auto-sexing, but no-where else seems to back this up, I haven't seen them on any lists of auto-sexing breeds. If we were to hatch chicks, the auto-sexing would be so useful, it might make the difference between getting a cream legbar rooster and a wellie :)
Welsummers are not 100% true auto sexing. They are however very near to it. But some welsummer lines are not as easy to tell with the chicks pullets for roos while others are very easy. Mine have always been 100% accurate.

This pics shows 3 pullet chicks and one cockerel. The cockerel being the far right bottom chick. Pullets have eyeliner and a "V' shaped mark on top of the head. Cockerels do not have this.

Cockerel chick

Pullet Chick

Well defined "V" marking. Pullet chick.

Cockerel chick. Very blurry head markings. Not a clear 'V' marking

Welsummers are not 100% true auto sexing. They are however very near to it. But some welsummer lines are not as easy to tell with the chicks pullets for roos while others are very easy. Mine have always been 100% accurate.

This pics shows 3 pullet chicks and one cockerel. The cockerel being the far right bottom chick. Pullets have eyeliner and a "V' shaped mark on top of the head. Cockerels do not have this.

Cockerel chick

Pullet Chick

Well defined "V" marking. Pullet chick.

Cockerel chick. Very blurry head markings. Not a clear 'V' marking
Thanks a lot! I'll ask the breeder how clear their line is when I buy them :) We plan to buy day olds anyway so they mix without any hassle. I'd just love a gorgeous wellie cockerel strutting around the garden :)

Back
Top Bottom