The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Thank you. Can you tell me how you could tell for sure?

1.hens have lighter gold hackles with black vertical lines (penciling)
2. hens have partridge feathering on the rest of their body - no solid color feathers
3. roosters are darker overall and have solid color feathering
4. saddle feathers are present on a rooster (just above the base of the tail on the back the feathers form a "saddle" dropping downward over the sides)
5. solid black tail feathers - hens only have black at the tips of their tails

Go back and look at my pictures of my Welsummers, that's what hen and cock will look like. Mals have red on hackle, saddle and on wings, green tale and black chest, up to quarter of chest can be red. females have that brownsish colored body with golden feathers with black runners on the hackle.

Hackle refers to the neck portion, saddle is where you would place a saddle if you could ride one

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 17 week old Welsummer pullet from a local feed store and after looking at some pictures online I realized she has the wrong leg color. Her legs are white/pink instead of yellow. I think the birds orginally came from Ideal, is this common in hatchery Welsummers?

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 17 week old Welsummer pullet from a local feed store and after looking at some pictures online I realized she has the wrong leg color. Her legs are white/pink instead of yellow. I think the birds orginally came from Ideal, is this common in hatchery Welsummers?
It is more common with hatchery birds but they usually start out yellow if they are pure Welsummer. Then can lighten later on to look more white. 17 weeks sounds too early for them to be turning white already to me. I've seen it around the 6-8 month age range and older but not before. I guess anything's possible.

Back
Top Bottom