The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hi guys! I am planning on getting a few welsummers next year because I think the dark eggs would be cool. Can someone give some info on them? Are they able to handle really cold weather? How big are they?

Males can be prone to frostbite on their combs. I'm not in a super cold climate like Alaska, so I can't comment there.

They are average sized Large Fowl - hens are smaller than a barred rock.

you may be interested in my other project then - I'm crossing Cream Legbars with Welsummers - I like the autosexing feature of the Cream Legbars - and the Crele pattern of the rooster. I also thought the offspring would be good for meat, and lay a pretty olive colored egg - which will make it easy to house the hens with my pure bred birds without worrying about confusing the eggs with either breed.

Sounds like a cool bird, but not exactly what I'm after.

I haven't raised Cream Legbars, so I have no idea how their temperament is but I'd imagine they would be a bit flighty due to their Leghorn ancestry? I'd prefer a calmer bird.

My Welbars will also be used as a production bird for a community garden that I've started here in Oakland. I've sold eggs to the public before, and in the past and a lot of people turned their noses up at olive eggs... LOL. So I'm thinking it would be safer to stick with a brown egg layer. I also feel like the birds produced from a BR X Welsummer would be meatier than a CL X Welsummer.

I also hope to sell sexable day old chicks in the springtime, pullets to be raised as layers and cockerels to be raised for processing.

Hello Welsummer fans! I'm anxiously awaiting the first egg from my welsummer cross (very anxiously- she's 28 weeks old). My question is: She hatched from a blue egg, so her mother was ameraucana and her father was welsummer. Do you all have any insight regarding what color egg she will lay?

P.S. I just love her!! She is very precocious :)

Hello Welsummer fans! I'm anxiously awaiting the first egg from my welsummer cross (very anxiously- she's 28 weeks old). My question is: She hatched from a blue egg, so her mother was ameraucana and her father was welsummer. Do you all have any insight regarding what color egg she will lay?

Does she have a pea or a single comb?

If pea, she'll most likely lay an olive egg.
smile.png

Depends on how dark of the egg gene the welsummer contributes. If he carries a dark egg gene, you will get olive. If he carries light, you'll get more of a green.

Anybody have Wellsummers from Meyer? I'm ordering from them so I can get the assortment I'm after, and was curious as to how "chocolate" their eggs are. I've heard hatchery birds eggs don't end up as dark as you'd expect. I might buy from Whitmore, as they seem to have real good stock, but its pricey and they don't offer the spectrum of birds I wanna get.

Anybody have Wellsummers from Meyer? I'm ordering from them so I can get the assortment I'm after, and was curious as to how "chocolate" their eggs are. I've heard hatchery birds eggs don't end up as dark as you'd expect. I might buy from Whitmore, as they seem to have real good stock, but its pricey and they don't offer the spectrum of birds I wanna get.

Welsummer eggs aren't chocolate at all - Maran eggs are chocolate colored - Welsummer eggs should be terracotta colored - If you want to know what kind of eggs they sell you should contact the breeder (whitmore) directly - they will be your best source of information regarding their own stock they don't offer a full spectrum because they are a breeder and not a hatchery. A breeder will always have a smaller selection, and hopefully better stock

Hi guys! I am planning on getting a few welsummers next year because I think the dark eggs would be cool. Can someone give some info on them? Are they able to handle really cold weather? How big are they?

you can read about all breeds in the "breeds section" of BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds If you want more information on Welsummers as a breed you can also read the articles on the Welsummer Club of North America's website

Back
Top Bottom