The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Tabitha, my previously non-laying welsummer, has finally started laying at over 9 months old.

wow, that required some patience! Glad she's finally laying for you - was the egg color worth the wait??
wink.png

I've had one take 8 months before she began to lay but never one that took 9 months! I thought the 8 month old had something wrong with her but she finally started and her eggs are some of the prettiest ones I get.

I've had one take 8 months before she began to lay but never one that took 9 months! I thought the 8 month old had something wrong with her but she finally started and her eggs are some of the prettiest ones I get.
I think MPC needs new breeding stock. my blue ameraucana from them is lacking beard/muffs, and my welsummer lays medium-brown eggs.

How long do welsummers typically lay? I acquired 2 recently (a Christmas present) and learned they are 3-4 years old. One was laying about 3 a week for a couple of weeks and then one of my dogs decided to dig through the run and coop and "play" with them. Feathers are back, all is fine now, but still no eggs. The other one has only layed one egg total since I got them.

Are they at the end of their laying age?
Or could it be a soft molt from the stress?
I know different breeds begin and end their laying lives at different times.

Thanks for any info/advice.

(PS, I'm keeping them even if they don't lay. I'm too attached at this point to kill them off.)

How long do welsummers typically lay? I acquired 2 recently (a Christmas present) and learned they are 3-4 years old. One was laying about 3 a week for a couple of weeks and then one of my dogs decided to dig through the run and coop and "play" with them. Feathers are back, all is fine now, but still no eggs. The other one has only layed one egg total since I got them.

Are they at the end of their laying age?
Or could it be a soft molt from the stress?
I know different breeds begin and end their laying lives at different times.

Thanks for any info/advice.

(PS, I'm keeping them even if they don't lay. I'm too attached at this point to kill them off.)
They probably went into a molt from the stress. Give them time.

Back
Top Bottom