The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I think I need him. Piet said to use males with excessive red to correct the black stippling in hens.

Thanks for all of the pictures!

This one has a penciled breast and in the Netherlands it is a fault.
It is a German Welsummer and this is the way they want it. The description in their Standard is saying "the breast must be penciled".
We, the Dutch Welsumerclub, think there is a connecting between the penciled breast of the rooster and the light feather shafts of the hen (everywhere: back, wings, breast,....)
The Dutch breeders culled those roosters with a penciled breast and nowadays we see that our hens are much better.
So as a Dutch Welsumer breeder I prefer the breast of the first picture.

What do you say of the pictures of the hens feathers?

I hope we can discuss about this in peace and harmony, that is my goal, nothing more and nothing less.
In an other topic it sadly went wrong and I am very sad about it.
I don't have a monopoly on wisdom.
I am only interested in wich birds, feathers, colour, etc....you prefer.
I am only trying to teach you all how we, the Dutch breeders, want our Welsumers to be.
Maybe it is totally different from what your Standard is telling you. But that doesn't mind.

Last edited:
Well...........that shows what I know.
tongue.png

I do prefer the black breast, but I am looking for offspring with more red in them to hopefully correct the stippling in my hens.

Quote:

She has to show more black at the end of the hackle feathers. Furthermore the feathers of the hackle are nicely interrupted by the groundcolour

Very nice hackle. Look at the reddish coloured shaft. When you see this you are dealing with a real redpartridge coloured Welsummer.

too much penciling on this one ^

This hackle is almost too black. Look at the light shaft, it is missing the red colouring

Very nice coloured primaries

Lack of peppering/black stippling on her shoulders

Back
Top Bottom