The Welsummer Thread!!!!

so the european goverments sent those out or was it a hatchery in europe that sent them ..its still a hatchery if thats what they did ..they hatched them then sold them to someone here ....i would bet it was a hatchery in europe that they came from ..it doesnt matter i wasnt trying to pick a fight i am just saying every one has their own reasons for getting the birds and altho they may not make it in your flock my birds are just fine with me ..and i dout my granddaughter is going to care if she wins at a local fair and not a bird show as you mentioned ..its a 4-h project for her and i to do together ..a bonding type project if you will
I'm not picking a fight either, just trying to make sure people understand the history of the breed. The original stock in the US were from breeders, not the government or hatcheries. This is a breed that has been bred to a standard in Europe since the 1920's - here is a link where you can read about the history of the breed http://welsummerclub.org/Origins1932.htm
the breed wasn't admitted to the US APA until the 1990's

to say that all chickens originate from hatcheries is the equivalent of saying all food comes from a grocery store.

I got a Welsummer in a barnyard mix (my first one) are they auto sexed by color at hatch? Any help would be appreciated!
Here is what I have been told :

"Welsummers can be sexed upon hatching. The females have dark, clearly defined lines around their eyes, and extending beyond the eyes, while the same line on males is not as defined and is a little lighter. Females also have a clearly defined dark triangle on the tops of their heads, while the males triangle is a little fuzzy in appearance and not as defined. You could look at it this way, the females know how to put their makeup on a lot better than the males."

Good luck, they are a beautiful breed

[COLOR=0000CD]Hi[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Thanks so much for replying.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Im in south Louisiana. Really far from Shrevport. I just found someone that breeds show quality welsumers [/COLOR][COLOR=0000CD]in La. Going to get chicks this weekend, hopfully. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Super excited to get a nice Roo and a few hens.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Can you or any other owners tell me if Welsumers get along with other breeds of chickens?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Are they pretty docile or aggressive to other hen breeds?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Thanks again.[/COLOR]

Hey, am in Louisiana also, you found a breeder here?

My Wellie holds her wings lower than my other girls. The others (Rock, Sussex, Easter Egger) hold their wings pretty high, so they almost touch at the middle of their backs. The Wellie holds her wings so the top edges align with her chipmunk stripe. Is that normal?

(edit to add pictures because she's so cute I can't stand it.)

Last edited:
Here is what I have been told :

"Welsummers can be sexed upon hatching. The females have dark, clearly defined lines around their eyes, and extending beyond the eyes, while the same line on males is not as defined and is a little lighter. Females also have a clearly defined dark triangle on the tops of their heads, while the males triangle is a little fuzzy in appearance and not as defined. You could look at it this way, the females know how to put their makeup on a lot better than the males."

Good luck, they are a beautiful breed
then I think I have a Pullet!
1f604.png

1f604.png
Congrats!
clap.gif
This is my first time with wellies, but I would agree. I have a 6 month pullet and roo and 7 chicks in the brooder. going to post some pics of them as soon as I get a new cord, have two of the chicks that have the dark coloring but the edges are not as "sharp" or defined as the 3 definite pullets but more so than the definite cockerels. Hopefully we'll get 2 roos and 5 hens out of it; good bloodlines.
I'm not picking a fight either, just trying to make sure people understand the history of the breed. The original stock in the US were from breeders, not the government or hatcheries. This is a breed that has been bred to a standard in Europe since the 1920's - here is a link where you can read about the history of the breed http://welsummerclub.org/Origins1932.htm
the breed wasn't admitted to the US APA until the 1990's

to say that all chickens originate from hatcheries is the equivalent of saying all food comes from a grocery store.

+1
I agree 100%. Not a breederist, but it's science. Bloodlines matter.
To me hatcheries are like the Walmart/Costco of the chicken world. It's a lot of money any way you slice it, I like to meet the person responsible for my chicks and do the whole shaking of hands/discussion so I can gauge the situation. Just my .02, to each his own.

Her wing carriage looks very normal

My Wellie holds her wings lower than my other girls. The others (Rock, Sussex, Easter Egger) hold their wings pretty high, so they almost touch at the middle of their backs. The Wellie holds her wings so the top edges align with her chipmunk stripe. Is that normal?

(edit to add pictures because she's so cute I can't stand it.)

How vocal are your Wellies? My Wellie Beatrice is the loudest out of the bunch! She makes this noise that's almost like a loud long whine.. Haha
The whole world MUST hear their egg song! They are very vocal.

Sorry to jump in, what age do they lay from? My wellie "Wilma" is 12 weeks now & growing well
smile.png
It depends on whether you have hatchery stock or breeder stock. My breeder birds do not begin laying before 24 weeks, and can range to 30 weeks. Hatchery birds will begin laying earlier.

1f604.png
This bird is not a welsummer, or at least, not pure. Can we see the whole chick?

The whole world MUST hear their egg song!  They are very vocal.

It depends on whether you have hatchery stock or breeder stock.  My breeder birds do not begin laying before 24 weeks, and can range to 30 weeks.  Hatchery birds will begin laying earlier.

This bird is not a welsummer, or at least, not pure.  Can we see the whole chick?

Thank you she's hatchery :)

Back
Top Bottom