The Welsummer Thread!!!!

We are not planning on showing them. I will say, for hatchery birds, the Roo's are excellent. They look to be hitting the SOP thus far, I plan on taking the 2 "best" to a show or two and let pro judges take a look see.I do not plan on showing them, so the SOP really is irrelevant to us. We are small farmers who want eggs, my daughter picked out Welsummers and Turkens based on catalog photo's. I will post a pic or 2 later for fun, and will update these posts once the roo's are full grown and get to show. There as been more than one winner at the Central Florida fair purc hased from McMurray. No one outside of the hatchery employee's knows about the lineage of the birds. To say a bird will not meet SOP standards simply because it is from a hatchery is not logical, its impossible to know. We will find out here. Thanks for the replies and conversation thus far. Ill post pics once the rains come at about 2pm this afternoon.

Could a post make less sense? We are showing, we are not showing. Let me try this again please. Our primary intent is not to sho, however, I will take a Roo or 2 to the show simply to see how close to the SOP they are. Most folk are biased against hatchery birds for obvious reasons. Understandable, hatchery's are not in the business of selling show quality birds. That said, many hatchery birds win shows. So out of curiosity, we will hit a show or 2. We will post pics and results soon.

Hello Everyone! New here and just got 3 baby chicks, they are a blast! They are 3 1/2 weeks now, and 2 of them are Wellies and all supposed to be sexed as females. One Wellie is a girl, I'm pretty certain. The other Apple, I'm not so sure?

Seems to be a very prominent comb coming in, much more than the other Wellie. Also, Apple is the largest of the group, very thick legs also. About a head taller than the other Wellie. The V marking on head was blurrier than the other girl; however Apple did have strong eyeliner.

Would love to hear your votes on whether/why Apple might be a roo vs pullet? Here are pics of Apple:

Hello Everyone! New here and just got 3 baby chicks, they are a blast! They are 3 1/2 weeks now, and 2 of them are Wellies and all supposed to be sexed as females. One Wellie is a girl, I'm pretty certain. The other Apple, I'm not so sure?

Seems to be a very prominent comb coming in, much more than the other Wellie. Also, Apple is the largest of the group, very thick legs also. About a head taller than the other Wellie. The V marking on head was blurrier than the other girl; however Apple did have strong eyeliner.

Would love to hear your votes on whether/why Apple might be a roo vs pullet? Here are pics of Apple:

The same age as my girl! Are your girls from the same parents? That could make difference.

She's a pullet. Pullets feather in salmon on the chest. Cockerels will be black and red on the chest. Also, cockerels would have a larger, more pink comb by now. I have several the same age right now with a broody.

I just purchased/adopted my first chickens last week. One of my 4 hens is a welsummer and I have two welsummer chicks. I am very excited to get to know my little flock a bit better and begin my chicken keeping adventures :)

Congrats Eudylypta! Us too!

Thanks for all the input regarding my Apple. Her comb just got me worried, reminded me of a roo! I sure hope she is a pullet, I will keep you posted. I was asking because if she was a roo, I was thinking about getting an additional chick now, before the age gap gets too large. Our Feed store has baby chicks.

I don't know about parents of the 2 Wellies. Was told they hatched the same day, so assume at least 2 different hens. Could be the same rooster though.

Back
Top Bottom