The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hi, hope you all don't mind a question from someone interested in getting some Welsummers. I was wondering what they are like temperament wise? Are they docile, flighty, aggressive?

my welsummers were the most flighty breed as chicks and pullets, but they matured out of it around laying age. they used to absolutely lose their minds around me, flying into the wire walls of the run. I am not sure what I did to cause that, because my other breeds didn't act that way and were socialized/raised together. they are VERY calm now, not afraid of me (8 mos old?) at all. they are somewhat smaller bodied, I have 3 month old pullets that are almost as big as the welsummer hens. they are just light little birds, they can also fly well (as opposed to my big, heavy breeds like wyandottes). they are my BEST layers, consistently laying dark brown eggs almost every day. I think they lay 3-5 on and then take a 1 day break. year one anyway.

my welsummers were the most flighty breed as chicks and pullets, but they matured out of it around laying age. they used to absolutely lose their minds around me, flying into the wire walls of the run. I am not sure what I did to cause that, because my other breeds didn't act that way and were socialized/raised together. they are VERY calm now, not afraid of me (8 mos old?) at all. they are somewhat smaller bodied, I have 3 month old pullets that are almost as big as the welsummer hens. they are just light little birds, they can also fly well (as opposed to my big, heavy breeds like wyandottes). they are my BEST layers, consistently laying dark brown eggs almost every day. I think they lay 3-5 on and then take a 1 day break. year one anyway.

Thanks for the detailed information!!! They sound like fun birds to have around. I think next spring I'll want to get some chicks to add to my flock. I got all older birds this year because I was scared I'd kill chicks but I think I'll try chicks maybe with the Welsummers. Then I'll have a better idea actually how old they are! Where did you get yours from?

Hi, hope you all don't mind a question from someone interested in getting some Welsummers. I was wondering what they are like temperament wise? Are they docile, flighty, aggressive?

I think this varies based on a lot of factors - good breeders do judge temperament as part of their flock - aggressive roosters are not used, and this can improve the overall temperament of some lines. It also can vary based on how you raise them, how much you handle them and interact with them makes a big difference.

I don't know if Lt Brahmas are larger birds than Colombian Wyandottes, but my LB's have outgrown my Wellie girl (24 wks) and the LB's are 4 weeks younger.

I see your boy is getting his first (?) curlies. Mine at 23 wks is growing his second set.
Not sure if the hackles and saddles will change color once their juvenile molts are done or not....might not be truly 'assessable' until they have an adult molt.
yeah those tail feathers are looking pretty good ..cant wait to see him full grown ..his feathers have a shine to them, do yours shine and do they keep that shine..i hope so. ..i have to say i am pretty pleased with him so far ..a hatchery bird and he seems to be growing into a pretty nice birds ..alittle to aggressive with the females tho..i plan on building him his own pen and coop..my wife hates hearing those girls sreaming out when he goes after them..

we live on the end of a deadend road and anytime someone drives up the street he crows..hes crowing threw out the whole day ..its funny , i got rid of 2 roo's last yr because i was afraid my neighbors would complain but they ask what happen to the roo's , so i got him and now i am thinking they wished they hadnt said anything about them ..lol..i told them i was getting him and they thought it was great to hear them crow ..i wounder if they still feel that way..oh well watch what ya wish for ..haha..

i no my production birds are dwarfed by the wyandottes..they just keep getting bigger and bigger ..i am wondering if i should start them on layer feed at 20 weeks or wait till they lay their first eggs..some say to wait ,but on the feed bag it says to start them at 20 weeks ..the production birds i just started them on layer at 20 weeks ..i didnt see any trouble with them ..a few misshappened eggs at first and a few without shells but only for the first week or so of laying ..

The newer feathers seem to get shinier and shinier, he just about sparkles in the sunshine.

I feed a 20% protein flock raiser to everyone, then just have oyster shell in another container for the layers......keeps thing simple and the higher protein balances out the grain and other treats they get regularly.

My welsummer is 25 weeks. When is the average time it will take her to start laying ?
you'll see their combs start to get real red just before they start laying..i noticed today that a few of mine have more developed combs compair to other..none of mine have laid yet..i am at 19 weeks now ..i may start mine on layer feed tomorrow..or i need to go buy another 50lb bag and i dont want to if i dont have to ..it says on the bag to start them on layer feed at 18 to 20 weeks ..i think i'll be ok ..what do you all think..

16-30 weeks. Should be soon! How's her comb looking?

you'll see their combs start to get real red just before they start laying..i noticed today that a few of mine have more developed combs compair to other..none of mine have laid yet..i am at 19 weeks now ..i may start mine on layer feed tomorrow..or i need to go buy another 50lb bag and i dont want to if i dont have to ..it says on the bag to start them on layer feed at 18 to 20 weeks ..i think i'll be ok ..what do you all think..
I started her on layer feed awhile back. She still gets grower because of a few younger ones. She's not a full breed. However she's as close to a welsummer. I've posted her on many threads. Some have said old english, brown leghorn. Her face has turned z light pink but comb definitely changed last week. She's roosting very well but no nesting box. I do have golf balls.
please give me your thoughts. Her comb is different. I know she's mixed. Any thoughts welcome and thank you in advance! I do also give her plenty of good food. She's the only one who knows how to mate with our rooster. Not sure if that has anything to do with maturity and being closer to a egg. :)
PS. She is so fast and hates cameras. This is the best pic I have.

Last edited:
I started her on layer feed awhile back. She still gets grower because of a few younger ones. She's not a full breed. However she's as close to a welsummer. I've posted her on many threads. Some have said old english, brown leghorn. Her face has turned z light pink but comb definitely changed last week. She's roosting very well but no nesting box. I do have golf balls.
please give me your thoughts. Her comb is different. I know she's mixed. Any thoughts welcome and thank you in advance! I do also give her plenty of good food. She's the only one who knows how to mate with our rooster. Not sure if that has anything to do with maturity and being closer to a egg. :)
PS. She is so fast and hates cameras. This is the best pic I have.
I plan to keep my girls on grower, with supplemental oyster she'll separate, until they're all laying. There's nothing wrong with a little extra protein while they're finishing growing up, and that's all the grower has different from the layer, I think.

Back
Top Bottom