The Welsummer Thread!!!!

So I went out to drink my coffee and enjoy my flock. I got locked in the coop and my Rooster Sassy had died. Of course I was yelling for my husband to come get me out cause him and my kids were sleeping. I have 11 hens. What do I do? I'm sad he was a remarkable Rooster !! Very loving and kept the girls in line. My husband held him everyday . There was nothing on him to indicate a animal but a few big feathers of his in coop. He was alive a hour before. I could never replace him meaning his personify. I feel I need and also want a rooster for the girls. Is there a way I go about getting a new one. Like what age he should be ? How long to wait? Those types of questions. I feel sick he was so lovely and such a freak thing.

you don't have to have a rooster, but if you want to get another one, you should read up on bio-security and introducing a new bird to the flock. Because you have an existing flock, a very young roo could get pecked a lot, so if you can find one a year old or so he might do better. The problem with that is disease, you never know what you might be introducing to your flock. Sorry to hear about him dying :(

you don't have to have a rooster, but if you want to get another one, you should read up on bio-security and introducing a new bird to the flock.  Because you have an existing flock, a very young roo could get pecked a lot, so if you can find one a year old or so he might do better.  The problem with that is disease, you never know what you might be introducing to your flock.  Sorry to hear about him dying :(
If I already have two pullets in another coop about two weeks old. can I get a very young cockerel and keep then together before introducing then to the rest of the flock ? I did find a lady who has a EE and olive egger 2 weeks old.

Last edited:
If I already have two pullets in another coop about two weeks old. can I get a very young cockerel and keep then together before introducing then to the rest of the flock ? I did find a lady who has a EE and olive egger 2 weeks old.
i was told as long as they are close in size and age ..also keep in mind that any new birds should be quarantine from the rest for 30 days before introducing them ..i am not sure how that would work for you tho ..as you are introducing a baby bird to other baby birds ..and then to your existing flock..

My pepper just started laying two days in a row. But not yesterday . My rooster her BFF died Sunday can that cause her to stop. ? Of is it hit or miss for a few weeks? She's very upset and has grouped with the 2 hens that hold the 2,3 dr pecking order in flock.

My pepper just started laying two days in a row. But not yesterday . My rooster her BFF died Sunday can that cause her to stop. ? Of is it hit or miss for a few weeks? She's very upset and has grouped with the 2 hens that hold the 2,3 dr pecking order in flock.

I think this all sounds normal. Hens take a while to regulate their cycles (just like ladies, right?), and emotional turmoil definitely causes breaks in laying. Also expect her eggs to be small, and shaped funny at the beginning.

Sorry to hear about your roo
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom