The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Well, in Maine anyway...
all my birds come from cackle ..i think they are pretty nice ..all mine are filling in pretty good..oh you can also order what is called a city farm special ..i think its like 3 birds but then they charge more for them but if you dont want to buy 15 birds it maybe an option.

That is not unusual either, the pattern of speckles can be all over the place and change from day to day, just like with any other chicken....especially with a new layer....... look at this one I got from my wellie pullet this week. ..and here are some examples of Welsummer eggs for you to look at.
It was from my wellie!! Finally
1f60a.png
.. She laid another one yesterday morning.

If you want breeder quality chicks, most of the time you will need to go with hatching eggs. If you want females only, you may want to stick with a hatchery. Its very hard for a small scale breeder to sell just females - after all, what are we to do with the males? Right now I have 15 cockerels that I'm trying to re-home. If they aren't placed by this weekend, I'll be eating a lot of chicken soup in the near future.

Here she is, my adorable little fluffy (dark!) Wellie from Meyer. I had other BYCers tell me she doesn't look like a Welsummer because their lines are usually cleaner & their coloration not nearly as dark, but if you look at the chick pic on Myer's site this is definitely one of them. So I understand that she is not a Wellie up to standards, but rather a hatchery's own version of one, but I love her just the same! She is a sweetie, and I can't wait to see the changes she goes through as she develops & what she looks like as an adult.

Here she is, my adorable little fluffy (dark!) Wellie from Meyer. I had other BYCers tell me she doesn't look like a Welsummer because their lines are usually cleaner & their coloration not nearly as dark, but if you look at the chick pic on Myer's site this is definitely one of them. So I understand that she is not a Wellie up to standards, but rather a hatchery's own version of one, but I love her just the same! She is a sweetie, and I can't wait to see the changes she goes through as she develops & what she looks like as an adult.
Well....actually, no not a Wellie at all I don't think, not even a 'hatcheries version', maybe 'hatcheries mislabeled'?
All chicks make me go.... awwwwwww :) they're all so stinking cute no matter what their called.
Maybe take it over the 'what breed is this' forum...someone might know what it is.

Well....actually, no not a Wellie at all I don't think, not even a 'hatcheries version', maybe 'hatcheries mislabeled'?
All chicks make me go.... awwwwwww :) they're all so stinking cute no matter what their called.
Maybe take it over the 'what breed is this' forum...someone might know what it is.
LOL, I already posted her there, where one helpful member pointed out that if you look at Meyer's Welsummer chick pic here: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/produ...essionId8087=d1a9e4e7443d4694a86050f4053a7fab She has the same exact pattern, just a much deeper reddish color. So do you think that Meyer may have their entire breed listed incorrectly? Someone said she might be a Partridge Rock. Does she look more Rockish to you? I will ask the folks on the rock thread, too. I wouldn't mind having a Rock, I just really wanted those Wellie eggs :(.

If you want breeder quality chicks, most of the time you will need to go with hatching eggs. If you want females only, you may want to stick with a hatchery. Its very hard for a small scale breeder to sell just females - after all, what are we to do with the males? Right now I have 15 cockerels that I'm trying to re-home. If they aren't placed by this weekend, I'll be eating a lot of chicken soup in the near future.

boy, I wish we were closer...we need a cockerel to continue with our birds! Hoping the chicks we ended up getting through cackle has a few boys......

Quote: No sorry...I see no resemblance between your chick pics and that link's chick pics(which do look like Welsummers).
Yours has kind of a chipmunk stripe on it's back, but barely (several different breeds have chipmunk stripes) but your chicks head and eye markings look nothing like a Wellie...sorry.

Like with Ameraucana, Araucana and now Welsummer....if you want a true one, you've got to go to a breeder. Hatcheries blatantly market breed names for sales.

You might have to wait 4-6 months before recognizing what breed, or cross of breeds it might be.....if it's girl, her eggs will still be delicious.

No sorry...I see no resemblance between your chick pics and that link's chick pics(which do look like Welsummers).
Yours has kind of a chipmunk stripe on it's back, but barely (several different breeds have chipmunk stripes) but your chicks head and eye markings look nothing like a Wellie...sorry.

Like with Ameraucana, Araucana and now Welsummer....if you want a true one, you've got to go to a breeder. Hatcheries blatantly market breed names for sales.

You might have to wait 4-6 months before recognizing what breed, or cross of breeds it might be.....if it's girl, her eggs will still be delicious.
Exactly! You don't have to apologize; I really appreciate honest input. I asked for it out of a desire to learn as much as I can about my girls so that I can best meet their needs, and know what to expect down the road. We are in this for eggs; so I will still enjoy them regardless of breed. Thank you, I will continue my ID quest at a later date...

Back
Top Bottom