The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hi all first time raising chicks and not sure if these 8 week olds are welsummers or Easter eggers? Or even brown leghorns?! So confusing! Lol

Their wing feathers are all in, their little tail feathers have grown in nicely and they are just starting to grow out body feathers.

They are very Curious every time that I try to take photos, my iPhone just attracts their attention.

I've noticed that during the day they like to watch out the window a look at the "goings on" in the backyard.

Hi all first time raising chicks and not sure if these 8 week olds are welsummers or Easter eggers? Or even brown leghorns?! So confusing! Lol
Looks like a welsummer to me; definitely not an easter egger (they don't have yellow legs. My welsummer has much brighter red browns but same pattern.

I'm new to BYC, and my flock just turned 5 months and I got our first egg (buff orp) last week. Any thoughts on the wellie stock shipping from my pet chicken? I've 2 girls, and I'm really enjoying their chatty friendly nature! Also, when might I see my first wellie egg?
1f601.png

I'm new to BYC, and my flock just turned 5 months and I got our first egg (buff orp) last week. Any thoughts on the wellie stock shipping from my pet chicken? I've 2 girls, and I'm really enjoying their chatty friendly nature! Also, when might I see my first wellie egg?
1f601.png
Took me a year to see my first wellie egg. Took me two years to see my first lace wyandotte egg. I had just given up on the wyandotte, thought she was sterile, but producing well now. I have a six month old wyandotte who is laying fine. My best layers are my ameracaunas/easter eggers, buff orpington, and australorp.

Thanks Lily! I am hoping for any day, but who knows!! The Wellies are squating now which is new and all my girls seem interested in the nesting boxes, although my first 5 eggs were all found outside the boxes! Argh!! Will be interested to see when my Wellies start laying!!

Add a geographical location to your picture. It helps people to know that information for future questions. Sometimes answers are location sensitive. In the meantime, good luck and have fun.

Looks like a welsummer to me; definitely not an easter egger (they don't have yellow legs. My welsummer has much brighter red browns but same pattern.

An Easter Egger is not an official breed but rather a catch-all, and they could easily have yellow legs. I have pure Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas that I purchased from a breeder who has been breeding his strain for 8+years and just last spring he had recessive yellow legs crop up. Out of four pullets, 2 of mine had them and on the Ameraucana thread they were accused of being Easter Eggers, which they are not. Easter Eggers generally have Ameraucanas or Auracanas in their breeding and so often have muffs, beards sometimes tufts, can be any color really and can have yellow or slate legs or anything in between. I got my Wellies from the same breeder incidentally and they are laying huge terra-cotta speckled eggs. I have a few in the bator now which will be Wellie-Marans crosses. Should lay some pretty brown eggs!

Back
Top Bottom