The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Excuse the Swedish flowers and jubilees, but are my three welsummers pullets? Getting close to 3weeks now.

Excuse the Swedish flowers and jubilees, but are my three welsummers pullets? Getting close to 3weeks now.
Upper right - probably pullet.
Center left - probably cockerel.
One with head in upper left corner - can't see it well enough.
You'll know better in 2-3 weeks when breast feathers start growing in and cockerel wattles start growing in red.

Thanks @aart! Man, this breed has a wide range in coloring and development pace :eek:

But good news is I have one more hen and one less rooster ;P And I think there's another slow poke pullet that I also thought was a roo. So maybe I actually have 5 pullets and 4 Roos? We'll see!

I've got a question for y'all. How are your Welly girls with new bird introductions?

I have four Wellsummer/Buff Orpington cross juveniles 9 weeks old and 4 pure bred Buff O's that my broody Buff O hatched for me. We have been trying to merge the youngsters with the main flock for the last week or so. The young birds are in a pen within the main flock's pen so there is plenty of full view on both parts. Mom got enough of them at 4 weeks and rejoined the main flock. The Wellies aren't all warm and fuzzy about the youngsters. The Buffs aren't thrilled but not being aggressive like the Welsummer hens are. I have one youngster who got with the main flock and now has a scalping wound to her neck that I'm dealing with and today I saw one of the Welly girls go up to the chicken wire pen and charge the youngsters on the other side. The youngsters fled in fear and the one that was attacked is just a nervous wreck at this point.

I tried giving them a 'safe room' and it did work, allowing them to escape to the safety of their own coop. In fact they got to the point where they would come out and try to get out to the main run only to be forced to flee to the safety of the coop. So in the coop they stayed.

The Welsummer roosters are being fantastic with the youngsters. I think the junior rooster in particular is looking at the young pullets and thinking "Girls!" But the girls are being little you know whats.

Any suggestions on how to make this work? Have you noticed this attitude with your hens? I'm working on a new, bigger coop and was really hoping to have the two flocks merged by the time they moved to their new digs.

Back
Top Bottom