The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Some photos of the Welsummer Chicks today. here's Patsy in the flower/rock garden.

Loves to Sunbathe already....Such characters.

And Loretta...

Loretta telling her Broody Mom, "Hurry up! Let's go Free Range, Mom!"

Out Free Ranging. It looks like such a big world for them.

We are first time chick parents of several different breeds that we purchased from a local farm/certified hatchery. We have one Welsummer in our group and I am starting to worry that our "Rosie" may not be a "Rosie" after all. This photo is taken at 2 1/2 weeks old. She has eyeliner marks and a strong "V" on top of her head, but the size of her comb concerns me. I have an almost five year old that will be heartbroken if we have to find a new home for this chick. Thank you for any advice and comments.

We are first time chick parents of several different breeds that we purchased from a local farm/certified hatchery. We have one Welsummer in our group and I am starting to worry that our "Rosie" may not be a "Rosie" after all. This photo is taken at 2 1/2 weeks old. She has eyeliner marks and a strong "V" on top of her head, but the size of her comb concerns me. I have an almost five year old that will be heartbroken if we have to find a new home for this chick. Thank you for any advice and comments.

It is kind of big...but....don't totally despair yet, wait until about 5 weeks to see if red wattles begin to show/grow.

Thank you for your reply AART. I really appreciate it! We will keep our fingers crossed and hold out hope for a few more weeks. She/He is the sweetest bird!
It is kind of big...but....don't totally despair yet, wait until about 5 weeks to see if red wattles begin to show/grow.

Watch for the breast feathers to come in. Males come in black, females, salmon or rich caramel color. All of mine had strong eyeliner and 'head' Vs and were sexed as female but at 4-5 weeks the eyeliner began to fade and sure enough, next were the black breast feathers. Also if you compare feet and legs, cockerels are usually always bigger than pullets. At least in my experience they have been.

Back
Top Bottom