The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Like a day today, it would have been perfect for me to take the girls OUT of the coop/run and let them forage however the neighbors may not appreciate it. The bantams are a bit wild, not settled down yet so only can trust Gretl and Sarah (Orp mom).

D.gif

Just got a 7 month old Welsummer Roo ( free ). nice boy, quite he has a crooked back end, that's ok, he's a good boy , I'll C in time how the other boys except him. And the best part is hubby dind't get upset. I named the Roo " captain Hook "
love.gif

I had a Dominique Rooster with the same problem. I think that it is a significant defect. The only information that I found was a possible cause< is low Copper in diet. I have placed copper tubing in the water containers due to the oxygenation properties. But felt that a crooked spine would become an issue in breeding. Poor boy, he had a nice personality. HE would have needed a new home anyway due to zoning.

Quote:
celebrate.gif
I am thrilled with my new boy, He's here 4 life no matter what he can or cannot do, It suits me fine if he cannot do !! U know what I mean. I have done horse rescue 4 yrs... I think I'd like 2 do Rooster rescue . LOL... But have 2 figure it all out & pass it thru the hubbby. This guy so far is a dream boy. I am in Love with him already.. Going have 2 set up a radio 4 him, he loves music. I feel Like I can take him 4 rides like a person does a dog.. He's a super Roo.

I am picking up some welsummer pullets and some that are welsummer mixed this weekend (yeah)
She said they are right around 6 months of age... and not laying yet... should I be worried? At this age, how would the wattles and combs look for hens vs roos? Are the roos colors all in by then usually?
Just want to make sure I am not getting duped!
Thanks

Quote:
10,000 good karma points coming to ya for taking that special boy in.
hugs.gif
Pictures?
smile.png

yippiechickie.gif
TY. He is so sweet. my new Ameraucana hen , " Etta" is in love. they R snuggling cozy on the roost
love.gif
woot.gif

Quote:
Congratulations and Welcome to the Welsummer thread! Hope you share photos when you get them home and all settled in.
smile.png

At 6 mos. of age you will be able to tell the boys from the girls. Yes the boys' colors should all be in by then.

Here are a couple photos of one of my pullets at 6 mos. old pullet and one of my roos at 7 mos. old.
11170_imgp9076.jpg

11170_imgp8150.jpg

Last edited:
Well fall is coming, so the past 2 weekends I have sold about 125 welsummer bantams, and selected the best 10 roosters and 20 hens out of about 150 birds that I retained this year to grow out and select some new breeding stock from.

My 2 new roosters should be coming soon, from Texas, and im going to be bringing some LF and some BF pullets down there for A. Van't Westeinde to grade, and see what he would use for breeders. I saved some bantam hens that fit both the USA and the Netherlands Standards, seeing as I have 2008 and 2010 import birds directly from Holland, I want to keep most of them to the country of origin.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom