The Welsummer Thread!!!!

They should not have barring patterns in their feathers at all.

Nor should they have heavy black penciling in their neck feathers either.

I am sorry you were disappointed since I have been hearing about that over and over from many new people and either they would put them up for sale, or keep them just as egg layers or cull them all out and start all over again. In the WCNA website, they will have pictures of the faults in the Welsummers but most of them can be used for hobbyist or backyard chickens just as egg layers.

If you are still wanting to raise the real thing, best bet is to contact any of us in here for availablity of chicks or eggs....I believe Nate (SCFIcelandics) would put you on the waiting list for chicks.

Quote:
Its hard to tell at this age, The welsummer pullets look one way, and then all the sudden they change into their adult color, ITS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

What breeder did you get them from? Do they know lines?

I do have a list started, wasnt going to open it until jan 2011, but with my prices being cheaper, and offering a check/MO discount people are already wanting them to prebook and pay for 2011 shipment!!!

Nate

For some reason it's not showing where I'm from but I'm in Australia so unfortunately can't get any eggs/birds from forum members. (Quarantine regulations)

The chicks were from a breeder originally, my friend bought them but a dog killed her broody so she passed them on to me because she knew I was looking for chickens. I had been looking for a few hens with the hope of setting posted eggs but got instant chicks instead
big_smile.png

I am hoping they will improve a lot as they get older, though I'd certainly keep the pullet as a layer. The cockerel better mind his manners and stop sparing with the Barred Rock cockerel who's twice his size.
roll.png

I will be very interested to see what color eggs I'll get,
fl.gif
for good color.

Your birds are very young. Wellies are one of the breeds that are slow to mature. Mine pullets were ugly for a long time but eventually are improving and have nice personalities. They are almost eight months old and only one is laying. They will never make the grade as most of the Wellies here on this form but I do not mind.

Isn't there a gent who raises good wellies in WA state? I got some for a neighbor (well, lives down the block) at a show for her and her son (4-h birds) and they want to get more.

Welcome Groundhigh, HHandbasket and Rarebreed!!!!!!!!
frow.gif

Ultasol~ There are a few of us here in WA. State that breed Wellies. There is Tailfeatherz (Royce), Kummerpoultry (Erhard), myself and I believe another gal not sure of her first name but her BYC handle is L & S Chickens. When is your neighbor looking to get more do you know? Is your neighbor looking for chicks or hatching eggs?

Quote:
There is a gent out of CDA with show stock (cannot remember his name so that really helps you ;-).. but put an ad in the spokane/CDA craigslist and I am sure he will awnser. my stock originally came from hiim thru my neighbor I will ask her today for his info.. anyhoo.. he breeds and shows..
Denna

Quote:
There is a gent out of CDA with show stock (cannot remember his name so that really helps you ;-).. but put an ad in the spokane/CDA craigslist and I am sure he will awnser. my stock originally came from hiim thru my neighbor I will ask her today for his info.. anyhoo.. he breeds and shows..
Denna

Hey fdnick!!!!!!!! I didn't even see you! Good to have you here!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom