The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
That's AWESOME NEWS Les!!!!!!!!! Thank you for letting me know. Sorry about the Splash x Bill egg......but don't worry about that.....YOU WILL GET MORE!!!!
wink.png
lol.png

Tons more happy vibes coming your way. Hoping for an excellent hatch for you.
fl.gif

Wonder how HappyChooks' eggs are doing, but it may be a little early for her yet. Crossing my fingers for her too!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Congratulations on your first egg! WOW! 10 mos., she did take her sweet time, didn't she? I bet you get another egg today or tomorrow. My girls usually lay one day, then take a day off and sometimes they lay for 2 days, then take 2 days off. They don't know how they want to do it, they are just as confused as me sometimes.
lol.png

Quote:
Steve~
I would say the eyeliner, but in some lines of Welsummers this isn't the case, but I don't believe this to be the case with Hens' chicks. I think she has a male that just has a very nice tidy V.

Hens~ On your females..look to see if they have a very fine darker almost blackish line defining the V on either side and then look for those same darker almost black lines along the dorsal strips on the back.......I have noticed that the males do not get this. Is that the case with your chicks ?

CherylCohen~ I totally forgot to share the info above with you......this should help you determine the sex of the 2 chicks that still have me stumped. I don't know why I forgot to mention this to you before...my brain...it's all dried up!
lol.png

Last edited:
I've seen Erhard Weiss have some nice ones at shows. I am hoping to pick up another girl from him. I really like the ones I have- reliable layers and nice temperments, but still alert and able to move quickly.

I'll have to see if I can get pictures of the younger ones and the older ones. They're kept warm, which might be holding back feathering. I brood in a heated room, and I've just turned down the brooder again.

Last edited:
Quote:
Steve~
I would say the eyeliner, but in some lines of Welsummers this isn't the case, but I don't believe this to be the case with Hens' chicks. I think she has a male that just has a very nice tidy V.

Hens~ On your females..look to see if they have a very fine darker almost blackish line defining the V on either side and then look for those same darker almost black lines along the dorsal strips on the back.......I have noticed that the males do not get this. Is that the case with your chicks ?

CherylCohen~ I totally forgot to share the info above with you......this should help you determine the sex of the 2 chicks that still have me stumped. I don't know why I forgot to mention this to you before...my brain...it's all dried up!
lol.png

oh cool I'll check tomorrow

Hi all! I haven't posted in a long time, but I finally have some time. My girls are laying well and when I turn our entire backyard into chicken paradise, I'm going to concentrate on breeding them. I have to thank cpartist for getting me started with these awesome birds! I hope this is the right spot to post a picture of one of their eggs; they're almost as dark as my Marans' eggs and those are DARK. I really couldn't be happier with my Welsummers.
big_smile.png

The Welsummer eggs are on the left side, the Marans egg is on the upper right.

39767_eggs_024.jpg

Close up of the Welsummer's work:

39767_eggs_027.jpg

I'm sorry if this isn't the right spot to post these.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom