The Welsummer Thread!!!!

We hatched a dozen welsummers this weekend, and our best guess is seven females and five males. Then on Monday, the eggs the students bought for my birthday arrived very poorly packaged. Four were broken and oozing all over the others. I don't hold out a lot of hope for them, but put them in the incubator with the wellie eggs we've gathered up in the past week. Ours are giving us an egg or two per day.

Welsummers are not the only breed that experiences sudden death. Sometimes they just do for no reason at all. Nothing you can do about that.

Blood clot.....something tells me he might have just slammed into something like a wall or an object and broke his neck. Yep, it does happen to any breeds, even I had one that did that.

I hope you have Chester's son waiting nearby to take his father's place. RIP Chester! He was a handsome rooster!!

Quote:
My buff orp did that. She was laying under the coop, something freaked her out and she went to fly away........right into the floor of the coop. It does happen.

Here are my Welsummers! I have 11 hens and 1 Roo.

72993_img00317-20110316-0855.jpg

-Nate

Last edited:
Question, our 2 Welsummer boys have a red lines running down the outside of their legs- has anyone seen this before, they are acting normal and eating, drinking, pooping good and crowing just fine. I'll try and post a picture as well.

Back
Top Bottom