The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:

Welcome to the Welsummer Thread All-American Chick!

Welcome to the thread, I have agree with what is already being said! Our girls lay very consistent and they range in egg color from light to dark terra cotta. Our girls are very catty and will talk to anyone who comes in the coop or run area. Ours aren't free ranging and hang out in a coop that is 4' x 12' inside with a 5' x 10' outside run and do just fine. They have done well with our weather as well. They love treats and will come running but not really eat out of our hands.

Thank you all for your replies and your warm welcome
smile.png

I noticed that many of you also have Ameraucanas. How does the temperament of these birds compare with the Welsummers? I was thinking of getting two Ameaucanas (Easter Eggers) and two Welsummers to start with - all a few days to two weeks of age. Would there be any issues in having them together?

Be careful how you label your EE as Ameraucanas or Ameraucanas as EE LOL! Either you do or you don't have one. I've got a black Ameraucana pullet that is a culled SQ pullet. She won her class but when she started laying....oops, wrong color of egg, green blue, not blue green. She is lovely and gets along with my Welsummers pretty well. I love the contract colors of terra cotta eggs with green eggs of hers, just down right pretty! I also love my EE's I had, they are wonderful birds! Planning on some EE/Welsummer called Olive Eggers in the future.

As long they are raised together, they will be fine. I think it's a great combination!

Another question for you folks ... for how many years are chickens productive egg layers? As the following link suggests, Welsummers are only productive for 3 years. Is that a valid assessment? It seems rather short to me. If it is true, is this an issue just with Welsummers or with chickens in general? Thanks and sorry for my newbie questions!
http://www.omlet.us/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Chickens&breed=Welsummer

Last edited:
Quote:
Just like with people, chickens are born with x amount of potential eggs inside them. The number of eggs they lay in a life time will depend on factors such as genetics, health and feed. Diseases like MS and MG decrease productivity and shorten life spans.

Some people "force" laying over the winter by adjusting the light. When this is done, the chicken will lay more eggs that year, but that will lead to fewer years of productive laying. They can keep laying past three years old, but it won't be as frequently. The more eggs per year of production, the fewer years of production.

I always hate to point it out, but an egg is a chicken's equivelent of a woman's period. Just like women, as they age and approach "menapause" their production slows and eventually stops. some people sell off older stock every few years so they have only active layers.

Well, it's official: The eggs are in the brooder and the first week of June I will be the proud owner of 10 to 12 Lowell Barber line Welsummer peeps. I am stoked!
yippiechickie.gif
I have already sorta changed my mind about showing, at least at the county fair. I might drive over to Scottsville in the next couple of weeks to look at the breeder's flock.
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif

"Diseases like MS and MG decrease productivity and shorten life spans. "

Which diseases are these? Then I can go look them up and read on them!

Got wellie eggs set and there are 8 chicks in the brooder about a week old now. That blonde wellie rooster sure is cute. If wellie roos are REALLY SWEET then I will have a home for him watching over my flock of NHR TSC pullets with a family of 4 with a 10 and a 2 yr old that want to 'pet' them and gather eggs.

So far the TSC chicks are used to getting picked up and pet and their feathers scratched and their wattles and ear coverts. Then I put them gently down until their feet are firmly on the floor and hold them their a few seconds so they are quiet and let go. They seem pretty friendly from all the handling.

It looks like all I can find of Golden Laced Wyandottes are from hatchery stock as even Duane Urch is a hatchery running 100 breeds. So anyone knowing of a breeder of these birds that culls them to standard, I'd appreciate finding them!

I should have plenty of Wellie chicks in the next 6 weeks to get my Wellie flock going and I'll have a few Ameraucana's as well for the beginnings of a second flock.

Forgot to say, my GLW hen has been brooding 8 Wellie eggs now. Here's hoping she does a good job and doesn't quit!
fl.gif

Thanks all!
Coyote fighting chickens??? Maybe a LF Brahma Roo????
Bonnie in OHIO

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom