The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I will certainly let you know when I have eggs for you Kim - in the fall, when I can give you some eggs from your girls over Moose. I have 2 of your pullets growing out and they both are looking really nice. They are nice calm girls too. They are now 10 weeks, so a ways to go yet before they start laying.
lol.png
As soon as they are full size, I'll be moving them (and another pullet) in with Moose.

Glad you have some prospects in the rooster area! And good news that you have eliminated the stubs - I know how worried you were about that.

Its all part of being a good breeder, to cull the undesirables and redo the plans if needed to do so. I think Pink is doing a good job! And keep an eye on those Moose sons because IF they are better than him, you got a thing going there!
thumbsup.gif

Kim, here's the most recent picture I have of Moose. (He is now 1 1/2 years old) His tail is down cuz he's balancing on the edge of a 2X4. I'll have to work on getting rid of the gray fluff. He got a bit of frostbite this winter, as we had a harsher and colder winter than normal.

And with Kim's pullets, hopefully it will increase the egg size in my flock. Still can't believe how HUGE those eggs were!

IMG_3522.jpg

Not to pick on Moose, but to use this photo for learning....

How many points do you count on that comb? I don't know how they are counted and what about the rounded parts before and after on a comb?

Any photos of a good comb with 5 points and a bad one and how you count those points?

Also, we don't want completely black chested roosters? Should this photo's roo have some reddish feathers on his front?

How do you actually 'breed out' things like the fluff and the feather stubs? Just by culling chicks that have them and only breeding the ones that don't? What if everything born and raised has them?

I have 7 heartbeats tested Wellie eggs going forward into lockdown tomorrow night.

It is a staggered hatch and they are in an egg turner in a foam bator.

So, 1) should I remove the egg turner and put each group of eggs into an egg crate where I cut the bottoms out for circulation. Then I would be able to 'turn' the other two batches quickly up to 6 times a day by just propping up one end or the other of the crates.

2) Should I just keep the turner in and everything turning until I see the first pipping and then turn off the turner? What about the eggs that need to be turned cause I would be in 'lockdown'.?

I have a brooder I am trying to warm up to be a hatcher, but last time I tried to use it and only 2 hatched and the peeping eggs died and I don't want to lose these Wellies!

3) Should I just put the lockdown eggs underneath the broody hen, or is that a sure way to lose them all? Her day 20 on her eggs is Sunday Night and my day 18 on the bator first set is Friday Night.

Thanks for the advice! 7 heartbeats!

He had 5 points (6 if you count the double point) - he lost one when he was young to one of my hens. His comb isn't perfect, but it's workable given the other good qualities in him. (shouldn't have a double point - 2 points fused together) His comb is "wavy" looking because he got some bad frostbite on the side, and it doesn't help that the hens were picking at it. Rounded parts aren't points.

He does have some brown in his thigh area, but his chest is almost completely black. Here's some prior pictures showing his brown flecking.
IMG_3086.jpg

Here you can see his upper chest (by his hackle feathers under his chin) has some brown flecking.
IMG_2920.jpg

He was 6 months old here:
10225.jpg

I'm still new at the breeding aspect, so all I can go on at this point is that I was told by several breeders here that he is an excellent rooster (not perfect - but no rooster is), that he would show extremely well (by a judge), and have had someone offer to take him in if I wanted to find him a new home.
lol.png
I have also been asked for eggs when I get my breeding going.

I do know that you eliminate feather stubs (I haven't had any in my flock) by test mating pairs to see who is responsible for throwing the stubs, and removing that chicken from breeding. My understanding is it is a long, difficult process.

I have no idea how to breed out the fluff, but I'll be trying to learn.

On your eggs, I'd move them to cartons. Chicks can get stuck between the frames and on the sides of the turners. I don't cut the bottom of my cartons, just be sure you put them wide end up.

Quote:
Steve~ She is looking great! Are they both colored this darker color? I love this darker coloration...upon maturity she should have very nice rich colors. Can't wait to see them all grown up and laying. Very curious as to what you are going to get for egg color too. Thanks for sharing them!

Thank you! Yes, they are identical... I will surely keep you (and everyone here) updated as they mature and begin laying
smile.png

Hi everyone
big_smile.png

My 1st Welsummer chicks hatched yesterday
celebrate.gif
Wanted to see if I could get opinions on gender with these photos -
Thanks very much!
Kim

47528_welsummerchicks5-19-20111.jpg

47528_welsummerchicks5-19-20112.jpg

47528_welsummerchicks5-19-20116.jpg

47528_welsummerchicks5-19-20115.jpg