The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hello, I have a question about my welsummer pullets. I hope that a question about becoming broody is appropriate for this thread.

My three welsummers, who were hatched 15 September 2010, are all acting broody--two more so than the third. But all three are sitting in the nest boxes on eggs of others, not laying their own, and acting very indignant to being moved or disturbed by egg gathering.

Do welsummers commonly go broody? Is having all three seem broody at the same time usual as they were hatched on the same day. They were obtained from Welp hatchery via Privett in New Mexico.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Topknot19

Quote:
I've had Wellies for 2 years and never a broody till now and it is only w/ one particular line. 2 of 4 pullets hatched last fall are currently sitting in nest boxes and barking at me every time I go in to collect eggs. They have joined in w/ broody Marans, OEs' and 1 little Amer. Have broodies coming out my ears. It is so bad the girls that are still laying are laying in a dog house and 2 planter boxes and fighting for space in my 10 hole nest box!!!! Arrrgh

Thanks!!!!!
lol.png
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif

Opa, pretty rooster!

On the broody hen, it says in the write ups of Welsummers that they are not 'known to be' broody. So if you have some, lucky you! Some also say they might brood but not 'raise the chicks'.

Haven't had any grown Wellies yet, so I don't know from experience.

I have 7 eggs in lockdown..........

Quote:
Hi!

I've had Wellies for 4 years now and not had a broody Wellie until this year....fact, 2 of them went broody this year. The first one I let sit on some eggs but she was not too diligent about sitting, so I gave her some 3 week old chicks that I had, she did great raising them. I no sooner put her back in the Welsummer pen and her sister went broody. I didn't have the patience to try the second broody out for size so I stuck her in with a juvenile pen full of 3 mos old birds....all fixed, no more broody.
big_smile.png

One of the reasons that I was attracted to Wellies was because they weren't suppose to be prone to going broody, I let the one try it to see if she would be a good mom and she was but I don't want to breed this trait forward so I will break any of them from it if they do it again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom