The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Thanks Opa! It really helped me!

I wanted to also tell you every time I read/see/write your name it warms my heart. I didn't have an Opa or and Oma. But my dad did.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi Beesong!!!! Yep...bobcats cruise around up here during the day too...one unfortunate bobcat is center stage on my neighbors mantle. I am glad that he got it.....being that he got it as it was crawling out of a hole in my fence.
hmm.png

Pat those puppies for me! Great photo of your Wellie momma.
smile.png

Hi Pink!!!! Tioga and Chaco say they want to come visit your pond again! It sure was fun seeing you and your place. Give your dogs a hug back from me. I'm in the process of introducing the chicks I got from you to the world of the Big Coop now, where I want them to start roosting. I've kept one of the cockerels as a backup (Prince Harry?) to the one I really want to use for breeding and will probably separate him out next spring until I'm pretty sure I don't need him any more. The one with the 5 comb points is already huge, much bigger than the backup.

Good Morning Wellie lover,

Pink..keep me in mind when you have Welsummer hatching eggs available, probably need to start over as my Roo has several tiny, but present, sprigs on his upper leg.
roll.png
Probably won't turn on incubator till mid Sept for hatching season. Notice the hesitation:lau

Nate, nice to see you back on the thread

Hello!

I just spoke to PINKCHICK (she has a great sense of humor!!!) this morning and she suggested I write to this forum. I am looking for 5 or 6 HEALTHY Welsummer pullets, ages from 4 weeks to 4 months of age. I'm NPIP and in Ohio. Shipping would be fine. I fell in love with Welsummers as I love their dark speckled eggs!!! Speckled egg freak here LOL. If you have some healthy, good quality Welsummers please PM or e-mail. You can also check with Pink as I've spent some time talking to her.

Thanks so much!!!

Annie

Quote:
Yes, but I would still consider those hatchery stock, even tho they WERE from a known bloodline... I dont think they are as much on selecion as the rest of us.

Nate

Quote:
Yes, most wellies are slower growers/feathering out... It is the trade off to get good stock, which are dual purpose(unlike hatchery birds that grow quick are are bred for production.

Nate

Greetings everyone. I am new at posting but have been lurking since May. I started reading the Welsummer thread and am up to page 455 but may need some answers before I finally catch up. I have some questions on culling. I will have to cull 9 cockerels in the next few weeks. They were hatched May 8th and some have grown a little faster than the others.
Are some traits more of a priority than others? Do you aim for the body style over the coloring, and the comb. If some combs are larger and have 5 points on them, would you select that bird over one with a smaller comb with over 5 points in it. Will all of the birds have a gray tuft at the base of their tail or only some? I also have the option of selecting a bird with a lot of black on the chest with say 15-20 % brown spangling or going with a bird with much more brown in the chest area. Being new to the breed, I am just not sure where to place the emphasis when culling. I have printed out the APA standard for the breed but would like to hear where you prioritize first and in what order if anybody has a good rule of thumb. Does anyone keep 3 roosters around, each with a different strong suit, ie body shape, coloring, comb, etc to breed back into? I love the thread and hope to interact with all of you. I would like to be a good steward of the breed and would appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks
Jeff

Looking for a breeder in Northern Colorado, Eastern Utah, Western Nebraska or Wyoming. I would like to add some Wellies to my flock and would rather use a "local" breeder than a hatchery. I use the term local loosely, as I am in Wyoming and usually have to travel to "shop." Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am looking to add them in the spring, so not a big rush right now, but would like to make a connection with a breeder now.

Back
Top Bottom