The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I got my first eight chicks in mid-August as 3 and 10 day olds. I got 2 each of Barnevelders, BLRW, Wheaten Marans, and Welsummers, straight run, hoping for a flock of four in the end. I just adore the coloring of my Welsummers and am really enjoying watching them grow. They are now exactly 2 months (8 weeks) old and are quick learners, fanatical bug hunters, and the biggest birds of the flock:
Gwyneth Poultry
104489_dscf4306.jpg

and Pippin
104489_dscf4284.jpg

We're in a city that doesn't allow roos so Pippin is going to live at a no-kill farm in the country, along with the three other roos I ended up with (I knew I'd get some boys, but who'd have thought it'd turn out exactly 50/50?). I wish I could keep all the roos because they are beautiful, but I can already tell that they will be way too big and boisterous for our back yard. But it's been fun having them for the time they've been with us.
However, it's Gwyneth and her golden neck and russet back that I just love. Such beauties!

Quote:
Very nice pictures!

Here is one we took of one of our girls- she looks to be still finishing up her molt, notice how the feathers are on her back? From looking at her is seems that the section of feathers that lay over that area are still growing in
fl.gif

45425_welsummer_hen-_18_months-10-1-2011-crop.jpg

45425_welsummer_hen2-18_months-10-1-2011-crop.jpg

Quote:
*sigh* Wellies got another one hooked!
bun.gif

They are beautiful! Matter of fact you have 3 of my all time favorite breeds. You won't be disappointed with them, any of them. Gwyneth and Pippin and totally cute. Love the names!

Welcome to the Wellie thread!

Quote:
Very nice pictures!

Here is one we took of one of our girls- she looks to be still finishing up her molt, notice how the feathers are on her back? From looking at her is seems that the section of feathers that lay over that area are still growing in
fl.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/45425_welsummer_hen-_18_months-10-1-2011-crop.jpg

There's that gorgeous hackle color glistening in the sun that keeps me coming back for more Wellies!!! Love that! Beautiful!

Hens~ I have no clue as to what is going on with her feathers...never seen that before. I hope they are just growing back in funky and that they settle down when she is all finished molting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/45425_welsummer_hen2-18_months-10-1-2011-crop.jpg

Quote:
I don't believe he is...he is acting completely normal. I am continuing to watch him closely.
fl.gif

He needs to remain healthy as I have downsized to only 3 pullets and him. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

smile.png

I have the opportunity to build a new coop, fenced area shelter for my hens and my roos. I currently have about 40 birds and just over half of them are Wellie Roos. I was hoping to do a 8x20 lean to shed up next to another 10x28 lean to shed and do a fenced and chicken wire netted roof of the large 16x36 or so run area.

I looked at some 8x12 sheds and figured I could build what I want, but planned on putting it directly on the ground rather than building a wooden floor.

I am open to all suggestions and links to coop/run set ups. For winter simplicity, I am thinking of a roo side and a hen side. But I don't want the roos killing each other off and I don't want the hens overstressed by too many roos in with them. Was also thinking of just putting the roos out there for the winter, but they need to be safe!! And keeping the hens here in town, so splitting the flock in half for the winter. Then the hens would have a closer eye on them and eggs and such and be a bit of a what's going on out there with the roos sort of check.

All of you suggestions would be highly appreciated. This is a low budget project and needs to be completed in the next month due to winter temps/ground freezing, etc.

Temps will range in the 10-20 degree F for several months this winter and we can get up to 2 feet of snow, 3 or 4 times is what is the usual. I will be caring for them long distance, will have to run electric cord out from the house and water will have to be hauled in.

Needs to be racoon proof and coyote resistant. I plan to place them inside of the alpacas roving area for added protection.

What does a chicken need for bedding or building design to keep it warm in these low temps?. Thought maybe of doing a hoop house enclosure off of the door of the coop as well for added running around room and 'sunning'.
hmm.png

I'm in southwest Missouri at my oldest son's house and we are enjoying the time we get to spend with them. My granddaughter, Morgan, is practicing a beautiful piece on the piano that she will be playing at a recital later this afternoon.

The rooster I brought with me is sunning himselve in the front yard and we are waiting for Havinfun to arrive. I sure hope he feels the bird is worth the drive to get here.

My babies will be one week old tomorrow.
Question, there is a slight difference in wing feather length.
PeachesnPennyoneweekfeatherdifferences.jpg

Does this mean anything? I'm hoping they are both hens. Just curious. It is the only way I can tell them apart ;-)

got back from missouri about 2 hours ago
it was nice meeting Opa only wish i had longer to visit
it sure was nice of him to bring a stag all the way to his sons for me
i now have a really really nice stag in his own pen
waiting on some age so i can put him in the brood pen
can't wait to see all of the offspring
have a safe trip on your way back home
thanks again Opa

Back
Top Bottom