The Welsummer Thread!!!!

This is the roo I'm currently using to breed is he acceptable and what should I look for in his offspring? any info will help thank you!

DSC00780.jpg

Quote:
Robin, I don't recall ever reading anything like that. I checked my Standard and didn't see anything but I could've missed something. Personally, I like to see little to no fluff at all but as far as I know it is not a fault so nothing is deducted. If I can remember, I'll have to ask a judge the next time I talk to one.

Of course, if you find something, by all means send it to me.

God Bless,

While fluff showing at the base of the tail may technically not be a fault I think the given the choice of awarding 1st prize a judge will favor a bird that doesn't have it. While some white may show immediately after a molt, it should disappear as soon as the bird is fully feathered. Personally I would cull birds that exhibit more that a minimal amount with my goal being birds that have none.

Quote:
Opa is correct. The fluff throws off the tail angle and is an indication that the tail coverts are not correct. This is where the fault lies. The visual effect of fluff is the kiss of death at a show in most breeds. I am an APA/ABA judge.

Walt

Very little fluff or no fluff is ideal to get the good visual on a beautiful bird.

What do you call those fluffs? There has to be some names of each part of the tail and the tail head (as in horses). Or rump feathers.

I think some exhibitors would actually pluck those fluffs to make the bird look good. I am not sure if it is strongly discouraged or does it make the bird a little "roached" in that area.

Quote:
Opa is correct. The fluff throws off the tail angle and is an indication that the tail coverts are not correct. This is where the fault lies. The visual effect of fluff is the kiss of death at a show in most breeds. I am an APA/ABA judge.

Walt

Thanks Walt. That's good to know. I didn't realize you were a judge. That's good to know too. Now I have another resource I can turn to!
big_smile.png

I did email the Prez of our club who is also a judge but haven't heard back from him yet. It'll be interesting to see what he has to say.

God Bless,

Quote:
Pulling it out is considered faking and even if you do that, you still have a faulty backline at the tail. The tail coverts have to be correct. That is what is allowing the fluff to show.

Walt

Quote:
I have done a lot of work on the cotton tail in poultry and the white is actually the lower part of the tail covert itself, If you pull it out you are pulling out the tail covert.

Back
Top Bottom